cheap and easy all grain recipe needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yewtah-brewha

Reaction score
How much can I expect to pay for an all grain batch. I'm looking to do a 6 gallon batch and it being a first don't want to spend alot of money, I like light beers such as hefe, corona and rolling rock. any suggestions are apreciated

Actually, I correct myself. Under $30

Figuring on 10-12# grain (1.89/#)
2-3 ounces of hops. ($2-4/oz)
dash of Irish Moss (20 cents.... maybe)

For the most part, cream ales and light lagers are cheap to make. If you can ferment at 50 degrees, a light lager would be great. If you can't, you could make a cream ale or a hefeweizen.

A good recipe that I like is Biermuncher's "Cream of Three Crops". I used Minute Rice, flaked corn, and US two-row with a cheap ale yeast. I think it was around $16, because I buy in bulk.

A hefeweizen will need liquid yeast, so that would be about $7 just for the yeast, but both wheat malt and two-row are cheap so that would be the biggest expense.

Are you buying locally or expecting to add shipping to your cost?

I try my best to brew in the $25-30 range (shipped), unless I am going for a big beer. Sometimes you can save some money if your order 2-3 recipes at the same time.

Six gallons...hmm.....$25-$30 is a good guess. I do a basic blonde ale with 9 lb.s 2-row, .5 lbs. Crystal 60L, and an ounce of Cascades using US-05 that is pretty tasty and basic for about $25.

Six gallons...hmm.....$25-$30 is a good guess. I do a basic blonde ale with 9 lb.s 2-row, .5 lbs. Crystal 60L, and an ounce of Cascades using US-05 that is pretty tasty and basic for about $25.

Deffinatly gona try this one out, I can get the grains for 14.00 from the local shoppe! yeast is in the fridge and hops on hand! what was the OG do you know?

Deffinatly gona try this one out, I can get the grains for 14.00 from the local shoppe! yeast is in the fridge and hops on hand! what was the OG do you know?

OG- 1.052 @ 75% efficiency
Color- 7 SRM
IBU- 23

I mash at 152* F for 60 mins and do a batch sparge. All ounce of the hops go in @ 60.....Very simple recipe and not too shabby either.

I can't lager, so I make a kolsch inspired ale for my Pilsner-drinking friends. For a 6 gallon batch it would be 9.5 lbs. pilsner malt, 1 oz. Northern Brewer at 60 minutes, 1 oz Noble Hop (Saaz and Spalt are my favorites) at 20 minutes, US-05 dry yeast. Pretty simple, very tasty.

I can't lager, so I make a kolsch inspired ale for my Pilsner-drinking friends. For a 6 gallon batch it would be 9.5 lbs. pilsner malt, 1 oz. Northern Brewer at 60 minutes, 1 oz Noble Hop (Saaz and Spalt are my favorites) at 20 minutes, US-05 dry yeast. Pretty simple, very tasty.

cool, ill keep that one in mind too!

I can usually make a Hefeweizen for 20 bucks or so, but I wash and keep Wyeast 3068 in my fridge because it is one of my favorite beers. Not sure what a pack of that yeast goes for, but it shouldn't be more than 7 or 8 bucks. Considering the quality of beer you can make for that price, it isn't terrible.

picked up the grain yesterday, they recomended 5 oz of the crystal 20 for a blonde ale. I dont know any better so I went with it. hopefully, ill be doin this one tomarrow! 10.26 for the grain. the cheapest yet!!

Here are the specs Recipator kicks out about this recipe using 9lb.s 2-row, 1/2 lb 60L and 1 oz Cascade.

The finished volume is: 5 gallons
The original gravity is: 1.049
The alcohol is: 5.0% v/v (3.9% w/w)
The color is: 9 HCU (~7 SRM)
The bitterness is: 23 IBU

I can usually make a Hefeweizen for 20 bucks or so, but I wash and keep Wyeast 3068 in my fridge because it is one of my favorite beers. Not sure what a pack of that yeast goes for, but it shouldn't be more than 7 or 8 bucks. Considering the quality of beer you can make for that price, it isn't terrible.

do you have the grain bill?

Back