Need A "Bock" Like Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maveric777

Reaction score
OK... I am still fairly new and have only made 4 batches so far using extract kits from a particular distruibitor. I just recently was asked to brew a batch of bock for a Fathers Day gift. Well, I am not set up to do a lager style beer (no place to do the cool fermentation) and from what I understand about a bock is that it is a lager.... Right?

So I was wondering if anyone knew of a brew that is close to a bock that I could pull off with normal ale fermenting temps. A recipe (extract that is) would even be better.

Thanks for any help on this one.

I'd get a decent Traditional Bock recipe and over pitch a Cal Ale yeast and ferment towards the lower end of the yeasts temp range.

Start with listening to The Jamil Show's Bock episode and build off that recipe.

I called the company I deal with and explained my situation. They recommended using a Bock extract kit and use White Labs - German Kolsch yeast. Did a little looking into the yeast and seems to be right on track. Just wanted to see what yall thought.

My only concern would be that the Kolsch yeast might not stay as clean as 1056/001/US-05 at warmer temperatures. Otherwise, it should be fine.

Maveric, let us know how it turns out. I haven't even looked at bock recipes because I don't lager, but your idea sounds like something I'd like to try. Good luck!

Back