mangrove jacks yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a Mild on tap that I used the Newcastle strain in. I like it a lot and will rebrew this exact recipe again within another month or two.

Between a group of buddies and myself we have used nearly every available MJ yeast on Various brews. We even did a 4 way split on a 12 gal batch where we used MJ Newcastle MJ Burton and MJ British in 3 of the 4. The general consensus right now is this yeast is pretty amazing across the spectrum and I do not hesitate to recommend it.

Does anyone have any specific experience with the Bavaria*Wheat strain (M20)? Perhaps some tasting notes as compared to the liquid varieties from White Labs & Wyeast? Curious to know if this really produces that classic hefe character. It would be awesome to have a an authentic dry hefe strain.

Does anyone have any specific experience with the Bavaria*Wheat strain (M20)? Perhaps some tasting notes as compared to the liquid varieties from White Labs & Wyeast? Curious to know if this really produces that classic hefe character. It would be awesome to have a an authentic dry hefe strain.

There's another thread about MJ yeast. Here are the search results from it about the Bavarian wheat yeast.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/search.php?searchid=24584379

just got that strain for a bitter, so i don't know yet, but i'll find out in a month or two whenever i get around to brewing it! :)

what is everyone's opinion on the M07?

I'm not everyone but I can give you my perspective.

I found it too plain/neutral/clean to compete with the likes of US05 or Notty (especially for the extra price). Additionally, it seemed to produce something I didn't care for; if I had to put words to it I would say it was like alcohol esters, almost like vodka aroma (I fermented really cool 60-62F beer temps both times). It's as though it stripped/masked any of the malt character.

For a yeast-neutral beer, I think M07 can work; maybe even for a pseudo-lager (think bud), or simply as an alternative to US05 or Notty.

As far as an english bitter goes, I would NOT recommend M07 as it won't contribute anything as far as esters go, and may even mask some maltiness you want retained in a proper bitter.

On the other hand, M79 (Burton Union) worked wonderfully in english beers. I think M79 is the best strain I've tried from MJ.

Just one guys opinion of course.

I'm not everyone but I can give you my perspective.

I found it too plain/neutral/clean to compete with the likes of US05 or Notty (especially for the extra price). Additionally, it seemed to produce something I didn't care for; if I had to put words to it I would say it was like alcohol esters, almost like vodka aroma (I fermented really cool 60-62F beer temps both times). It's as though it stripped/masked any of the malt character.

For a yeast-neutral beer, I think M07 can work; maybe even for a pseudo-lager (think bud), or simply as an alternative to US05 or Notty.

As far as an english bitter goes, I would NOT recommend M07 as it won't contribute anything as far as esters go, and may even mask some maltiness you want retained in a proper bitter.

On the other hand, M79 (Burton Union) worked wonderfully in english beers. I think M79 is the best strain I've tried from MJ.

Just one guys opinion of course.

I would echo every single thing you said. This is a spot on assessment. I used it in a hoppy American Brown, and I was expecting M07 to be similar to WLP007. I rebrewed my silver-medal-winning recipe, and this time it only scored a 25 - the judges commented about a "sour twang" in the aroma, and an acidity in the flavor.

This yeast seems to mask the malts more than most yeasts, and somehow subdues the hop aromas as well.

I used it in a 10-gallon split batch of Foreign Extra stout where the other yeast was US-05. I just kegged them both tonight, but the I did side-by-side tasting of room-temp uncarbonated samples (which for a stout I think is relatively fair) - they both finished at the same gravity, but the M07 has a thinner mouthfeel and tastes more acidic to me.

Neither of these beers are bad, they're both very drinkable. But I think if you're looking for a dry yeast for a malty or balanced beer, you'd be better off looking elsewhere.

I think M07 would be great in a lawnmower type beer - maybe a cream ale of summer bitter, but it is subdues malt flavors too much and doesn't have any tasty british-type esters.

Used there cider yeast in this years batch. Just tasted week old in tormenter and i was very happy with the flavor. I fermented higher at around 70 to try and get some esters and i feel i for sure got some extra fruit flavor out of it.

got the british ale yeast i used for a bitter... worked wonderfully! actually liked the flavors more than S-04

I've got 5 gallons of IPL in the fermenter. I pitched two packets of M84 Bohemian Lager yeast. It took nearly a week to start and it's been sitting at 12C for three weeks now. It's dropped from 1060 to 1022 so it's still got some way to go. It's certainly the slowest yeast I've ever used but I won't mind as long as it tastes good. Time will tell.

Three weeks, that is definitively a labour of love if I ever saw one. Specially if it just turns out average. To be fair, this far I think these yeasts have done better in the taste contingent than in attenuation or speed, so there's some hope!

Well it has been 1 week and have dropped from 1.078 to 1.018 blew about 1/2 gallon on to bottom of fridge.. I will check in the next couple of days. Yeast really performed well.

Three weeks, that is definitively a labour of love if I ever saw one. Specially if it just turns out average. To be fair, this far I think these yeasts have done better in the taste contingent than in attenuation or speed, so there's some hope!

I'll leave it another week to see what happens.

I've got 5 gallons of IPL in the fermenter. I pitched two packets of M84 Bohemian Lager yeast. It took nearly a week to start and it's been sitting at 12C for three weeks now. It's dropped from 1060 to 1022 so it's still got some way to go. It's certainly the slowest yeast I've ever used but I won't mind as long as it tastes good. Time will tell.
Don't freak out when it tastes like pineapple after fermentation. You'll need to crash or gel it to let it clear and then the pineapple will go away. Then dry hop it.

I think the cell count is low on that yeast. My first dry pitch of it wouldn't start at 50F for 4 days. I let it rise to 57 and it took off. Subsequent pitches with an adequate slurry amount of the harvested yeast took off quickly at 50F.

Ive used the workhorse and the cider. The workhorse was lackluster. I was happy with the cider. Real slow starters, which males me worry.

Don't freak out when it tastes like pineapple after fermentation. You'll need to crash or gel it to let it clear and then the pineapple will go away. Then dry hop it.

I think the cell count is low on that yeast. My first dry pitch of it wouldn't start at 50F for 4 days. I let it rise to 57 and it took off. Subsequent pitches with an adequate slurry amount of the harvested yeast took off quickly at 50F.

I used this on a pils, and I would have loved some pineapple -- man, did it turn out sulfury!

I used this on a pils, and I would have loved some pineapple -- man, did it turn out sulfury!
I fermented ~6 batches with M84. All but the first with repitched slurry. Didn't get sulfur but I don't doubt it after my first weak pitch with it.

I recommend making a starter with this yeast rather than pitching it dry if you absolutely have to use it. Just as cheap and easy to use liquid though IMHO.

I used the Workhorse on a 1.090 Porter crazy fluctuation has settled down some , it states good for high alcohol will keep posted. I aerated a little extra.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

For those saying that their getting extreme behavior or odd esters out of a yeast, it'd be very helpful to us all if you describe what temps you're fermenting at and how you control temps.

Yes, this yeast can be slow to start but once it does it finish's fast and clean. I used a fresh pack pitched dry into a 1.040 pale ale and it was going with in 12 hour's. I then collected the trub after racking, cleaned it a bit and stuck it in a jar in the fridge for 3 day's. on my next brew day I took it out of fridge in morning (9am)and let sit at room temp 74 F until I pitched at 1pm. fermentation was going in 6 hour's and it was finished in a little over 24 hour's at 67F. I like this yeast a lot and will be using it in a black IPA next week.

I did batch with M 21 belgian wit yeast from mangrove jack. Split half to compare with wyeast's belgian wit yeast, which I use a lot.

Both fermentered at 69 to 73F. No starters. But rehydated the M21 per instructions. 50% raw unmalted wheat berries that I pre-cooked, 48% two row, 2% crystal, and old cascade and saaz hops to taste in the boil kettle at 60, 30, and flame out. Very few hops, maybe a couple, three, ounces total for a 14 gallon batch. 1.044 OG.

All and all, out of the fermenters, the M 21 is drier than wyeast. More subtle flavor, but on point for a daily drinker wit. Been drinking a few blue moons here and there this yeast is close to that flavor, but drier, and a bit more belgain flavor. I would say better than a blue moon, but similar. Probably with carapils/dextrine malt you could clone an (improved) blue moon well.

Interestingly, it was drier tasting than the wyeast but had a higher final gravity than the wyeast.

The wyeast I would have liked a touch more hop bitterness, may add some isomerized bitterness to the fermenter. But the M21 is right as to hop profile.

Force carbonating now and give a final thought, but I'll buy this for a crowd pleasing, easy drinking beer. Might be a perfect yeast to introduce newbies to belgian style beers. My girlfriend likes dry beers but is ok with the flavor of Belgians if not sweet and not overpowering.

Just an update on the above post. Been drinking the M21 and the Wyeast on tap and took them to a large tasting/competition. Both were very popular. About evenly so. I did add some isomerized hop extract to the wyeast. The M21 has a more saison like taste, less blue moon-ish as it carbonated and matured, but it's very mild. I would drink either all day on a hot day, or a cold day, or a warm day... lol.

Back