Anyone have a Terrapin Big Hoppy Monster recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very interested in this as well. I had a couple at a local brew pub last night and its an amazing beer. If anyone knows of a recipe then please share...

I picked up a growler from Hop City in Birmingham AL. Love this stuff, and am very interested in a recipe, any ideas out there?

Pale malt. 93%
Melanoidan malt. 5%
Special B malt. 2%

Warrior
Simcoe

Wyeast Am Ale 2. #1272

I emailed Terrapin a while back and they told me that the only help they could give was that what is used is on their website listed from greatest usage to least....... heres what was on the website 2 row, munich, crystal 20, crystal 30, crystal 45, crystal 77.. hops warrior, centennial, cascade, ahtanum... dry hop simcoe..... I guess its a starting point

They told me the same thing. They also told me that at some point in the future, they were going to release their recipes for home brewers, but could not tell me when.

I put together a recipe using those ingredients in beer Tools Pro, and did quantities to get close to the specs for the beer, but have not brewed it yet so I don't know if I am close with amounts/flavoring/color. here is what I got.

OG 1.095
SRM 24
IBU 82
9.42%ABV

10lbs pale malt
2lbs Munich
2lbs Cyrstal 20
2lbs Crystal 20
2lbs Cyrstal 45
2lbs Crystal 77
.65oz warrior 60 min
.75oz Centennial 45 min
.75 Cascade 30 min
.75 oz Ahtanum 15 min
1oz Simcoe dry hop.

I am not good with predicting recipes, so if anyone else can let me know if they think this will get close, I would adjust and when I brew it, post results.

Since with that grain u will probably end up at FG 1.02-1.024 that being the case, i would add 2 oz more of warrior at start of boil to overcome the sweetness. Maybe try and mash at 150 or less.But besides that i think u hit it pretty dead on.

sounds tasty, M still waiting for pipeworks recipes. Their beers are totally awesome. Still have no clue how to clone these beers, but if someone could get a hold of the recipe it would be much appreciated.

I also sent them a message on FB about it with no answer. Oh well!

1.024 is the calculated FG. This beer is very malty and almost sweet, so I wasn't sure if adding more in the beginning would take away from that. Warrior is 16% AA. I was afraid that adding that much more hops early on would hide the super malty and sweetness? I think the name of this beer is very misleading, but it is so delicious.

Did you use 2oz in your recipe? How did it turn out?

I tend to put a min of 2 oz in any imperial ipa i make, otherwise it seems more like a scotish ale. But this has such a heavy bitter you got to make sure its bitter!

I haven't. I am going to try to get it done in the next month if I can fit it into my schedule. I will post results and the final recipe once I do.

hey formula2fast .... did you ever get around to this? i am curious about this too. i cannot find it in the local stores anymore, so really would like to find a recipe that works (or is close enough to tweak). thanks.

I have not brewed it yet. I have not brewed much of anything lately, although this one is on my "gotta brew soon" list. As soon as I do, I will post results. According to Terrapin, they are discontinuing this beer. If that is true, it makes me sad as this is a fantastic brew.

So I am finally going to make this happen on Feb. 8th. After much consideration, I am going to try to hit Terrapin's numbers, see how it comes out, and then adjust from there. They claim 1.093 OG and 73IBU's. Here is my final recipe:

9.5 lbs pale malt
2 lbs Munich
2 lbs Cyrstal 20
2 lbs Crystal 20
2 lbs Cyrstal 45
2 lbs Crystal 77
.8oz Warrior 60 min
.9oz Centennial 45 min
.5oz Cascade 30 min
.5oz Ahtanum 15 min
1.2oz Simcoe dry hop.

OG-1.093
FG- 1.023
ABV- 9.28%
IBU's- 74.8
SRM- 23
85% efficiency
75% attenuation
6 gallon batch (post boil)

Results to follow! If anyone has any more Big Hoppy Monster they want to send to me for comparative purposes, I would be willing to accept it in the name of science:D

Today I transfered to secondary to dry hop. My efficiency came in at about 75% as my propane tank went out while I was not paying attention and did not boil off as much as I should have, so my OG came in quite low. I am at about 8.5%abv after taking a FG reading today.

Upon sampling, it is pretty malty, pretty hoppy, and has a bit of a boozyness to it that I can't remember BHM having. I am going to bottle it in 10 days and let it condition for a month or two. Hopefully that will help it out. Still a solid beer, but not sure if this batch nailed it. I will post updates when I drink it.

Nothing like BHM. Came out just like a standard barleywine. When it was fresh, it was a hoppy boozy barley wine, but after the last 6 months, it has become a pretty solid one.

Not sure if I would brew it again because I am so far off and I don't brew enough to where I can brew this recipe a bunch of times to nail it. I have too many other brews I want to do as well.

Perhaps Terrapin will release the recipe now that they haven't made it for a few years.

I have not tried to contact them yet. Once I do, I will post up their response. If anyone lives near Terrapin, perhaps a meet and greet would help.

So I contacted Terrapin yesterday and their head brewer emailed me back with a recipe for it. Wish all breweries were like this.

Pale Malt 50-70%
Munich I 6-16%
CaraMalt 8-15%
Crystal 77 6-12%
Amber Malt 2-8%
Crystal 45 2-8%

Warrior at 60 minutes for 50-60 bu
Centennial at 60 minutes for 20-30bu
Cascade at 30 minutes for 5-15bu
Amarillo at WP for 10-20bu

wyeast 1272​

OG 22
FG 4.0

I will brew this version, but not for a couple months as I need to work it into my rotation, but if anyone brews it before me, post up results.

You would want to do that in whatever beer program you use (beertools, beersmith, etc...). That will allow you to input the values based on your equipment, efficiency, and procedure. Most pros always give recipes in percentage so you can calibrate the amounts for your system and scale to whatever batch size you usually make. When I have some time, I am going to sit down and do it in my beertools. Once I do that, I will post up what it will look like, but again, your results will be a bit different because of all the variables.

Based on my brewing setup and the ingredients Brian at Terrapin gave me, here is my recipe. It is not that far off from my original, but there are a few different ingredients that he gave me that are not listed on the website for the beer. My amounts are near the middle range that he gave for all grains, and hop additions are to the middle of the range IBUs.

My average efficiency is around 85-87%. This recipe was based on 85%.

12lbs 2 Row Pale Malt
2.25lbs Munich Malt
2lbs CaraMalt
1.75lbs Crystal 77
1lb Amber Malt
1lb Crystal 45
1oz Warrior- 60 min
.8oz Centenial- 60 min
1oz Cascade- 30 min
2oz Amarillo at 5 min (I don't whirlpool so this gave me the IBU count from WP)
Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

OG- 1.097
FG- 1.016
IBU 97
ABV-9.66%

Not sure when I will get around to brewing it, but it is on my list.

Back