Chimay blue yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorefingers23

Reaction score
I have a 750ml bottle of Chimay blue and I want to harvest the yeast, is one bottle enough to do this, or I'm better off just getting a vial from white labs?

sorefingers23 said:
I have a 750ml bottle of Chimay blue and I want to harvest the yeast, is one bottle enough to do this, or I'm better off just getting a vial from white labs?

Personally, I prefer to harvest from one of their lower gravity offerings. The grande reserve is their strongest beer, and the yeast tend to be a little stressed. You can do it, but the white label works best.

Good luck!

I harvested from a 3 pack of the small bottles, they all have the same yeast I believe. It worked out fine, and I've harvested others from one big bottle and those have taken off too. My only brew with the Chimay harvested yeast went from an OG of 1.073 to 1.016, about 78% apparent attenuation. A little lower than I'd hoped, but pretty good.

So no, I have not found it is too little. Good luck!

I used two 750s when I harvested the yeast, but one will probably be enough. Have to say that the hardest part of making the brew was staying sober enough to make the starter after both bottles went down within an hour...:drunk:

i just harvested Chimay blue from 4 small bottles and it was easy and quick to build up a healthy 600ml starter so am guessing just one small bottle is enough to quickly build up a healthy starter...

My IPA style beer has almost finished fermenting and its around 8.8% Abv...
I used some DME and a little yeast nutrient in the starter wort and it almost exploded into action within 24hrs at 72F...i pitched this into my main brew after two days and it went from 1.076 to 1.014 in 9days at 72F.....its quite an amazing yeast...i will definitely be keeping some for another brew..

Back