American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on whirlpooling my last one of this recipe was hop shot for bittering then I whirlpooled all of my hops post boil for 170degree hopstand. It was phenomenal.

Brewing a 12 gallon batch of this on Monday. I plan to split the batch like bertusbrewery did. I'm going to ferment one with 1968 and the other with WLP002. I'm also going to dry hop one with Citra and the other with Mosaic/Simcoe (I may throw a little Simcoe in both). I haven't decided which yeast to put with which dry hop yet, so any suggestions would be great.

This will be my first 12 gallon batch as I typically do 5-6 gallons.

Brewing a 12 gallon batch of this on Monday. I plan to split the batch like bertusbrewery did. I'm going to ferment one with 1968 and the other with WLP002. I'm also going to dry hop one with Citra and the other with Mosaic/Simcoe (I may throw a little Simcoe in both). I haven't decided which yeast to put with which dry hop yet, so any suggestions would be great.

This will be my first 12 gallon batch as I typically do 5-6 gallons.

I would go with 1968/Citra since that is the original recipe (And it is a dead on clone)

Got an interesting one for you guys / gals. I kinda run a parti-gyle mash. Brewed a modified version of the OP’s recipe. Main recipe changes are preference substitutes, Maris Otter vs. US 2-row and I also made a small hop addition, mash addition at sparge vs. FWH, using the grain bed as filter.

The first runnings go to a 6-gallons batch size clear beer.

Second runnings went to a 1-gallon batch (1.049 post-boil gravity), which I co-pitched 3724 (Belgian Saison) and 3763 (Roeselare Ale Blend). I’ll let you know how it turns out in 12 to 18 months haha.

I've brewed this beer a couple of times in the past and have been very pleased with it.

After a month or two I did another batch with a combo of citra/mosaic, US-04 yeast as before. It finished at 1.012, everything went well but it tastes very sweet to me. Almost cloying.

I'm wondering if others would describe this beer as sweet, or maybe my palate has just changed in the last while to prefer bone dry IPAs with a more simple malt profile?

I've read that your bitterness level won't be as high as you wanted when you over-boil and then add water to get to the proper post-boil gravity. Is this right?

I'm not talking about watering down your beer.

I'm talking about starting with 7 gallons pre-boil, but ending up with only 5.5 gallons post-boil because you boiled off too much water. So you add a half gallon to get you to the recipe's 6 gallons post-boil.

I'm not talking about watering down your beer.

I'm talking about starting with 7 gallons pre-boil, but ending up with only 5.5 gallons post-boil because you boiled off too much water. So you add a half gallon to get you to the recipe's 6 gallons post-boil.

I understand that you are only adding enough water to get back to the proper post-boil volume. But I thought I have heard that by adding water after you have boiled the hops will result in a beer with lower IBUs than if you were to properly hit your post-boil volume the first time. Hopefully a couple others can confirm one side or the other.

I guess either way, in general shouldn't we be shooting for the proper post-boil gravity instead of volume?

I understand that you are only adding enough water to get back to the proper post-boil volume. But I thought I have heard that by adding water after you have boiled the hops will result in a beer with lower IBUs than if you were to properly hit your post-boil volume the first time. Hopefully a couple others can confirm one side or the other.

I guess either way, in general shouldn't we be shooting for the proper post-boil gravity instead of volume?

We should be shooting for both.

Your post boil gravity is determined by the grain bill, expected mash efficiency and final volume.

If you're missing any of those, there's no way you can brew consistently.

Personally, I'd leave it and take it as a learning experience.

We should be shooting for both.

Your post boil gravity is determined by the grain bill, expected mash efficiency and final volume.

If you're missing any of those, there's no way you can brew consistently.

Personally, I'd leave it and take it as a learning experience.

I have added water to 2 batches and never liked what it did to the flavor. IMO adding water post boil seems to not mix correctly or completely.

i'm wondering if others would describe this beer as sweet, or maybe my palate has just changed in the last while to prefer bone dry IPAs with a more simple malt profile?

I get the sweetness too, though not too much to the point it is sickly sweet. A lot of hops in this recipe so you need the sweetness to balance that out. What is your FG?

I laid down round 4 on this beer yesterday evening and it has started to chug away nicely.

My first attempt was done with WLP002.. Second time I used S-04, but I really preferred the WLP002. It is currently fermenting with harvested WLP002 from the last time I made this. I keep it fermenting on the low end of the temp spectrum for the yeast.

Has anyone out there tried this with a lot of different yeasts to compare? Any one yeast that really makes this beer pop?

October is looking to be a delicious month.

DeAGDHg.jpg

Thanks again Skeezerpleezer for putting this together.

I laid down round 4 on this beer yesterday evening and it has started to chug away nicely.

My first attempt was done with WLP002.. Second time I used S-04, but I really preferred the WLP002. It is currently fermenting with harvested WLP002 from the last time I made this. I keep it fermenting on the low end of the temp spectrum for the yeast.

Has anyone out there tried this with a lot of different yeasts to compare? Any one yeast that really makes this beer pop?

October is looking to be a delicious month.

DeAGDHg.jpg

Thanks again Skeezerpleezer for putting this together.

I have used 1968, S-04, s-05, Conan, and wLP644 (used to be Brett Brux Trois). The 644 was nice. Conan was once the other time didn't do that well, seems finicky. I like the English strains over American ale (s04/1968 vs s05) but all were pretty good IMO.

I just pitched WLP002 and 1968 in separate fermenters. I should have a good side-by-side comparison in a month or so.

I have used 1968, S-04, s-05, Conan, and wLP644 (used to be Brett Brux Trois). The 644 was nice. Conan was once the other time didn't do that well, seems finicky. I like the English strains over American ale (s04/1968 vs s05) but all were pretty good IMO.

How did it taste with the Conan? I was planning to make an IPA with this ZD recipe and Conan next month. Curious as to how yours turned out.

How did it taste with the Conan? I was planning to make an IPA with this ZD recipe and Conan next month. Curious as to how yours turned out.

Conan was really nice also, the first batched fermented out great. Dried out and was super fruity/juicy. Second batch with it struggled to ferment and ended up a bit sweet. Heard the yeast can be finicky, so make sure and pitch healthy yeast

I kegged for the first time this recipe on Saturday. Here on the west coast we have Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Ale. It is a near duplicate. Will give it more time to settle. However I think it is a match. Onto the next clone :mug:

Conan was really nice also, the first batched fermented out great. Dried out and was super fruity/juicy. Second batch with it struggled to ferment and ended up a bit sweet. Heard the yeast can be finicky, so make sure and pitch healthy yeast

Good to know! I was definitely hoping for the effect it provided in your first batch. The stored slurry I have is from January, so I will doing multi-step starters to get it ready for use in this. Thanks for the info.

Yes, first Gen Conan is good, but it's the later generations that are supposed to be out of this world.

It is generally agreed that Conan gets a little better with each generation

Yes, first Gen Conan is good, but it's the later generations that are supposed to be out of this world.

Well I cultured mine from some Heady, so I have to assume it's a generation or two in. Hopefully this all bodes well for some good beer.

I'll report back when it's done. Should be mid-October.

I got this in the lineup coming up very soon. I'm trying an unknown yeast that I've harvested from a dreg of War Bird from Pipeworks Brewing Company. I'm a huge fan of all they're beers I've tried. Particularly they're Citra brew that is phenomenal. I can't wait to try this with their yeast....Anyone know what they use??

I entered a modified version of this to my first competition. Modified it by hitting it with nelson Sauvin hops .5oz at 10 mintues. Whirlpooled it with 1oz and dryhopped with 2oz of NS. Added 1lbs of dextrose. 80ibu abv 7.9% entered as a dipa scores below
29 overall
A 5/12 6/12
Ap 3/3 2/3
F 11/20 12/20
MF 4/5 3/5
Overall 7/10 6/10
Total 30/50 29/50

Notes said "needed more hop character and bitterness". Thinking i would have done better entering it as an IPA

Planning to make this this weekend and a little confused by the hop bill which reads:

1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 21.1 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.0 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 15.4 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 5-7 days) Hops - (used to say 10, i use 5-7 now)

Should the "1.25 oz Citra (15 min)" line be below the "0.75 oz Citra FWH" line?

So we end up with 6 hop additions:
@60 min
@15 min
@10 min
@5 min
@1 min
@Dry Hop

You got it mate, with one correction. The first wort hop (FWH) addition is not really a 60 minute addition. Chuck your hops into your boil kettle (empty) prior to removing the wort from your mash tun. Then after your finish your mash, drain it into the boil kettle on top of that hop addition.

What happens is that you don't isomerize as much of that hop addition, and in turn get more aroma rather than bitterness.

I hope that makes sense :)

Cheers
Martin

Its been on draft at the house for about 5 weeks. I'm usually the only one that drinks beer in the house (swmbo hates beer but I'm working on that), so a 5 gallon keg lasts pretty long, I was very surprised when it blew last night. I was so looking forward to having a couple of glasses while watching the Pats game.

You got it mate, with one correction. The first wort hop (FWH) addition is not really a 60 minute addition. Chuck your hops into your boil kettle (empty) prior to removing the wort from your mash tun. Then after your finish your mash, drain it into the boil kettle on top of that hop addition.

What happens is that you don't isomerize as much of that hop addition, and in turn get more aroma rather than bitterness.

I hope that makes sense :)

Cheers
Martin

Perfect, thank you. As I will be doing a BIAB I'll just add them right after I remove the grain bag.

Made this about 3 months ago and it turned out incredible! I'm relatively new to brewing, but this has been by far my favorite beer. Thanks for sharing!

I'm getting ready to brew this tomorrow again, but wanted to experiment with a few things...trying to learn more about how changes to grain/hops/etc impact the flavor.

Adding
.25 lb Biscuit

Swapping:
.5 lb Crystal 60L with Crystal 10L

Swapping:
15 min and 10 min 1oz Citra addition with equivalent Rakau.

Moving:
5 min and 1 min Citra to a 175 degree and 150 degree hopstand.

WYeast 1968

Everything else the same...curious to compare. Not sure how much difference there will be. Maybe lighter in color would be the primary change? Would you expect noticeable difference from the biscuit or the Rakau change?

How about the Hopstand? Would you expect that change to have any noticeable difference?

Just got all the stuff to brew this in the morning. This will be my second ever brew. Doing 3 Gal biab. Stoked!

So my mash temp ended up being 154, and i ended up with an OG of 1.050 :(. I did some reading and the two things I'm thinking are the reason that happened are:

A) I had my grains crushed at my LHBS and they were too coarse
B) I didn't do a mash out step.

I mashed with full volume and this is my 2nd batch, 1st that I've taken readings so I don't know my mash efficiency yet.

Should I go grab some DME to bump it up? I already pitched the yeast and LHBS doesn't open until tomorrow... Or should I dump and rebrew?

I hope it still tastes good!

So my mash temp ended up being 154, and i ended up with an OG of 1.050 :(. I did some reading and the two things I'm thinking are the reason that happened are:

A) I had my grains crushed at my LHBS and they were too coarse
B) I didn't do a mash out step.

I mashed with full volume and this is my 2nd batch, 1st that I've taken readings so I don't know my mash efficiency yet.

Should I go grab some DME to bump it up? I already pitched the yeast and LHBS doesn't open until tomorrow... Or should I dump and rebrew?

I hope it still tastes good!

May be different answers here but absolutely don't dump it man, You may have a great beer you never know. What was your final volume going into the fermenter? Regardless though I say let it ride you may have undershot by a little bit which makes you closer to a session IPA but by no means does it mean you will make a bad beer. Your going to obviously loose a little ABV but you will probably still end up with one hell of a session IPA. This recipe is very good and weather your at 4% or 7% I truly believe its going to be pretty tasty man.

Keep us up to date on how everything goes, DONT DUMP IT :mug:

Final volume was 3 gallons. I wasn't losing enough water so decided to go for a 90 min boil. My gravity after mashing was 1.040.

Another question. I took several readings and one of my readings had hop gunk at the bottom and read 1.057. I should be trying to get clear samples right?

Back