whos going to brew in the hurricane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think well just get rain and wind here from it. I'm brewing a lager on sat and hope I don't lose power from Irene in sun!

I was hoping to brew Sunday too... I have let my pipeline get a little too dry unfortunately and Sunday was my first open day at cooking up a new batch.

Instead I'll probably be on standby all day at the firehouse if the hurricane is still tracking to be bad enough. With the ground as saturated as it already is, if we do get substantial unpleasant weather on Sunday I am definitely expecting some flooding and downed trees/wires. Hopefully that's it and there wont be many water rescues/fires from it.

I was/am planning to brew on Saturday but now some of the models have this thing making landfall at Wilmington. If i can find a way to maintain the fermentation temps with no power, I may just do it anyway.

I have a 2 gallon starter going for a really big barleywine, how long will this thing stay healthy? I may have to store it until next weekend.

Could always decant the starter and store it in a sanitized mason jar in the fridge

That's what I'd do. And take advantage of the time to cold crash for a good while to get all those yeasties out of suspension so none go down the drain.

Be careful guys, some of the models are predicting a cat 5 by the time this thing makes landfall. I went through Charley when it hit Florida a few years back, if I had it to do over again I would have vacated the premises well in advance and I was on the East coast at the time, near Punta Gorda. If this one is anywhere close to that intensity brewing beer will be the least of your concerns, trust me. :(

Whatever happens best wishes and good luck, you will all be in my prayers.

It's still too early to tell whether my area will be hit hard or not, but I've been putting off my imperial pumpkin brew day for too long and need to get it done. My biggest concern would be that once I reach boil on the propane burner at the edge of the open garage and turn it down, the winds blow it out...

I'm seriously considering hitting up Lowes or HD tonight to see if they have any of those $200 generators left. If we lose power for more than an hour during a rainstorm, my crawlspace basement would flood and I'd be out a practically brand new boiler, a brand new water heater, and a couple of hundred pounds of base grain... $200 seems a bargain compared to what it would cost to replace all of that...

Checked my home depot, they only had the $800 ones. I've got a great pipeline though so I think i'll be ok.:mug:

I should get everything in the mail tomorrow that I need to complete my keg setup. I will be seriously bummed if I have 5 gallons of 80 shilling and can't stick it in the fridge, but as long as the power holds out, let it storm!

I was going to do my 2nd IPA I am going to dry hop and serve in honor of 11/11/11 but I am going to put if off until after it passes I hear it is fast moving storm so hopefully after it makes landfall early Saturday in the a.m. It will be over by Saturday night with electricity most likly here in Durham (a real change from where I did live in Wilmington where you could count on 48 hours with out lights for a category 3) so since I alway tend to sleep through most hurricanes I plan to wake up well rested Saturday night and get things "dun".

It's highly unlikely you'll have power when the storm hits. In fact you should be anticipating a lengthy outage, say 3-4 weeks minimum. Expect the worst and prepare for it, when Charley hit we were without power for over 2 months, drinkable water for over three. If you can still get generators for 800 bucks, buy two. You might want to start looking for plywood too.

It's highly unlikely you'll have power when the storm hits. In fact you should be anticipating a lengthy outage, say 3-4 weeks minimum. Expect the worst and prepare for it, when Charley hit we were without power for over 2 months, drinkable water for over three. If you can still get generators for 800 bucks, buy two. You might want to start looking for plywood too.

You're killing my buzz. :(

Grain will arrive this afternoon. Am planning an OktoberFast Ale. Guess waiting another week won't hurt. BUT, business has been really slow so maybe I can brew during the week.

You're killing my buzz. :(

http://2004hurricanes.com/misc-charley-photos.html

Sorry man, I didn't take Charley seriously either until it was too late. At one point I can honestly say that I didn't think we were going to make it. As if the hurricane wasn't bad enough there were twisters spinning up everywhere to boot. It was total and massive devastation and chaos, truly unbelievable and surrealistic.

I was/am planning to brew on Saturday but now some of the models have this thing making landfall at Wilmington. If i can find a way to maintain the fermentation temps with no power, I may just do it anyway.

I have a 2 gallon starter going for a really big barleywine, how long will this thing stay healthy? I may have to store it until next weekend.

Wilmington is my favorite city.

I'm planning on brewing Saturday morning. would have done it Saturday afternoon but I want to make sure I get done before the rain hits.

The current prediction is that it will be down to a cat 2 or lower by the time it reaches central jersey, so I'm less concerned than those south of me.

I do have plenty of water, candles, and batteries. And if need be, I can be in the basement with a bucket or run an extension cord from the neighbor's house to my sump. He's got a decent generator and is always willing to help out...

I'll probably still check out the 3 closest stores to see what they have...

Luckily I have 18 full kegs and a bunch of can goods. I am set :)

Going to fill some water jugs up to be safe.

How about a clone brew?

Hurricane.jpg

Just kidding. Don't drink that.

Last night my crew and I definitely spent 4 hours retrofitting the firetrucks.

Every seat has a life vest and helmet, multiple rope throw bags on each truck, barricades, portable pumps, topped off the diesel in each truck, small boats to deploy in our trailer, etc...

We are planning to have around a dozen members spend Saturday night at the firehouse on standby, hoping another dozen make it out once the calls start coming in. We are planning to have each of our 5 trucks going in different directions to handle different rescues. Hopefully we don't get any building fires where multiple trucks from multiple companies will be needed.

...and I'm ~75 miles inward (straight line, not by roads). If we're preparing for it like this far inland, I would just go on vacation right now if you live in Jersey (or other coastal areas).

:(. Officially canceling my brew day tomorrow. I could crank out the batch before it gets bad here, buy in northern va we lose power so easily. I don't want to risk not being able to control fermentation temperature. I was going to brew an octoberfest.

:(. Officially canceling my brew day tomorrow. I could crank out the batch before it gets bad here, buy in northern va we lose power so easily. I don't want to risk not being able to control fermentation temperature. I was going to brew an octoberfest.

I'm thinking about pushing off to tomorrow evening or Sunday now. It sounds like it is going to be pretty windy in the morning now so I may not be able to brew.

Last night my crew and I definitely spent 4 hours retrofitting the firetrucks.

Every seat has a life vest and helmet, multiple rope throw bags on each truck, barricades, portable pumps, topped off the diesel in each truck, small boats to deploy in our trailer, etc...

We are planning to have around a dozen members spend Saturday night at the firehouse on standby, hoping another dozen make it out once the calls start coming in. We are planning to have each of our 5 trucks going in different directions to handle different rescues. Hopefully we don't get any building fires where multiple trucks from multiple companies will be needed.

...and I'm ~75 miles inward (straight line, not by roads). If we're preparing for it like this far inland, I would just go on vacation right now if you live in Jersey (or other coastal areas).

Where are you?

a little chop is when you feel OK with a safety line and harness on you
some of my dead friends last words were "hey guys watch this"

I'm brewing an ESB in the morning. We are far enough inland that we won't get the brunt of the storm. However it will be a nice brew day with the cooler temps and rain.

So, the storm is over. How did everybody make out?
Kinda bad flooding around here, but I never lost power. The town's water supply line was crushed by a collapsed bridge, so we only have enough water for a couple of days. Hope they get that fixed!
Cars floating down what used to be fairly mild streams...
Good times.

Back