Mangrove Honey Experiance?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotquiteawake

Reaction score
I might be picking up a gallon or two of "Raw Mangrove Honey" for about $25/gallon. Is the mangrove honey any good for meads or fruit meads? I've never made a mead before but with a baby on the way (6 months from now) I want to get a batch started to hopefully have close to done by the time the baby arrives.

Mangrove tends to be a darker, phenolic honey. I've used it in some blends with great success. Alone, I haven't been so happy with the results as the phenolic character can be quite medicinal. However, with that said, some folks have made excellent mead with it as it has strong caramel flavors and some folks make Polish style meads with it that turned out extremely well.

For a new mead crafter, I'd suggest trying a lighter, milder honey for your first batch - orange blossom, tupelo, sourwood, etc.

An herbal mead sounds interesting. I love gin and the herbally goodness of it (especially Hendricks!). I should probably do that ancient orange mead first. I've just got to finish off a gallon of apple juice in a perfectly sized gallon glass jar (ok, so a gallon is actually slightly too small, but I think it will still work right?) first to use as my fermentor.

Back