• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

12 Pin Lock Kegs Sale or Trade.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bufitfn

Reaction score
I got a local deal on 12 pin lock kegs. the kegs themselves are in excellent condition, but I'm sure need rebuilding. I have not used them but no dents and all lids are there.
I really don't want to ship them, I'm near Scranton Pa. I'm willing to do several things:
~Sell all 12 for $180
~Sell for $20 each
~Trade all 12 for 6 good ball locks.
Let me know.
Thanks
PS........There are only 10 in picture but I have 12...Sorry

059.jpg

Nice, I wish I could find a deal like this in so cal. I would buy them all. Good luck on the sale!

Me too here in MD.. I see in the pic a couple of them are popped open. Do you know if any/all of them hold pressure? I'm thinking you could check for leaks in a bathtub to find out...

I like the orange/pink/formerly red coca-cola ones - the black rubber on mine seems to want to leach on everything it touches.

They are all in great shape, I'm sure the will hold pressure with new rings/seals.
I am near Scranton, Archbald actually. 18403

I am directly east of you in NY off interstate 84. I can't drive out but I would like 2.if you would sell them at $20 each I could email you a ups label, just stick them in a box and drop off. Or I would trade 1 ball lock for the 2 pin locks.

bigbopper said:
ill take em all,any chance you could meet me at the lansdale exit of the extension? shoot me a pm

If you're coming down the NE extension, I'd grab one or two as well. Let me know via PM.

All still available. I'd like to sell all of them at once. A little more time and I'll split them up

I could be wrong here but those look like the ones you can convert to ball locks by buying the $10 kit. That would give you ball locks unless its the diameter difference your looking to get. Anyway hope that helps in some way.

Mark

I've decided toi split them up. Let me know and I'll ship. Some are spoken for, I think, First come first serve. Thanks
I just realized One is missing a pin on one post and one is missing a poppet. I'll send the good ones first.

Mine just showed up a few minutes ago (UPS is always late in the day around here). They certainly need a little work but I'm looking forward to it. Thanks!

You were right about them needing some work! Both dip tubes on both kegs were missing, and both kegs leak at both posts. The lids look to be in good shape, as well as the kegs themselves, but these things have spent some time outdoors! Were they 'found' behind a warehouse? lol

Now I'm debating if it would make more sense to convert them to ball lock since they need a new everything anyways...

Should be a fun project..

Also received mine today. Were these used for homebrewing or something else previously, do you know? just wondering.

Sorry guys, It's the way I got them. Broonery, I think I may have a few short dip tubes, is that what they need?
I can mail them to you.
I have no idea what they were used for or where they were

It's no big deal, I knew you were selling them as-is. They didn't smell foul inside or anything so I'm guessing that they were just cleaned and set aside by a coke distributor years ago and then picked for spare parts over the years. The PRV in one of the lids looks almost brand new, and the lids are in great shape, but between 2 kegs there were a total of 2 (out of 10) o-rings present. I'm going to replace the poppets and o-rings and see if they'll hold pressure after that. As for the dip tubes, I'm going to see if Napa has any 1/4" OD stainless steel brake lines that would work for the liquid out side. If you have any of the short ones and don't mind sending a couple my way that would be great, thanks!

Great, thank you!

I went to napa and they had a 5/16 brake line that would work perfectly with the flared end, but it was available in galvanized steel or steel with a polyvinyl flourine coating, not stainless steel.
I was looking here to see about getting a 4' piece which would be enough to make all 4, but I'd need to get a flaring tool and then flatten the ends.
So far I've soaked everything in idophor but I still need to get something strong to clean the inside of the kegs. For now I'm working on the outside appearance, trying to restore the rubber and metal by removing all the scuff marks and stickers. I'm thinking about polishing them to a mirror finish if I have the patience.

I went to my LHBS store yesterday and got new poppets and liquid dip tubes. I had the o-rings from bulk packs at Home Depot. The good news is after a good and throughout cleaning inside and out, with new poppets and o-rings, both kegs are holding pressure. Once I get the other gas tubes and put them in I'll sanitize the kegs on the insides and have them ready to be filled.

I perfected my cleaning process of the outside of the keg on the second one and it much better than the first. First I filled the utility sink with 8 cups of oxyclean and a sink full of water and used that to scrub everything. That took off most of the black scuff marks on the pink/red rubber and SS. Next I used mineral spirits to wipe the surface off the rubber on the top and bottom (one side at a time), followed by an application of Back-to-Black, which sealed the rubber from leaching and darkended it a little bit. Finally I used mineral spirits again on the SS sides of the keg to remove the stickers and residue from the B2B, and now they look pretty good.

Back