High gravity beer, should I rack it yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austinb

Reaction score
I brewed an imperial porter with an original gravity of 1.078 three weeks ago. It started off really well and slowly the fermentation has slowed but it still seems to be actively fermenting. I checked the gravity a couple days ago and it was 1.022 and its currently at about 25 seconds between airlock bubbles so its getting close but probably not quite there yet. I am leaving for a week and half tomorrow and was planning on letting it continue to ferment while I am gone because I want to make sure it fully ferments before I bottle it to prevent over carbonation. I was wondering if I should rack it to a secondary before I leave to prevent it from getting yeasty flavors? It definitely has a good yeast cake on the bottom. Or should I wait and let it fully ferment before transferring to a secondary?

We typically leave our beers a minimum of 1 month before bottling. I've done 5.5 months with no issues. I'd just leave it alone til I got back. It's a big beer after all.

Back