Where to buy an enclosure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for a plastic enclosure to put a router into. I have a Linksys WRT54G converted into a Wireless Repeater I want to mount on my stand. I found a plastic enclosure at Menards that would probably work, but it was 34.00 seemed a bit steep.

It is 12X12X6 IIRC. Is that kind of high for a plastic box? Anyplace I can find something cheaper? I searched Ebay, but my search skills are bad. I found a lot of enclosures that won't work, too expensive, metal, etc.

I'm sorry I can't help you, though I curious why you want an enclosure. Won't that decrease wireless throughput?

Try looking for a cheap plastic toolbox at a home improvement megastore. Plastic or aluminum "project boxes" of that size tend to be expensive.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I want to install in a box to protect from water. I've been told that plastic should not affect performance of the router. But I'm not 100% sure of that, part of the reason I don't want to drop 30-40 bucks on it.

I'm looking for a plastic enclosure to put a router into. I have a Linksys WRT54G converted into a Wireless Repeater I want to mount on my stand. I found a plastic enclosure at Menards that would probably work, but it was 34.00 seemed a bit steep.

It is 12X12X6 IIRC. Is that kind of high for a plastic box? Anyplace I can find something cheaper? I searched Ebay, but my search skills are bad. I found a lot of enclosures that won't work, too expensive, metal, etc.

OT, but why are you mounting a repeater on your stand?

:confused:

A toolbox should work. If you put some holes and grommets on the back, you can extend the antennas out and not worry about plastic cutting your signal strength (which it won't, to any real degree). A smaller grommet will let you bring in power without letting in moisture, too.

I'll also have my BCS-460 in the enclosure. That will give me wireless connection to my computer.

I like your thinking on this...
I also use a wireless bridge. I stuck it inside my metal enclosure and it worked exactly as I expected... not at all. I had the idea of trying to take it apart and mounting the antenna through a hole in the enclosure.
The idea of a second box is not bad... :mug:

Ed

Thanks Ed, I will admit that the second box is not exactly what I had in mind. But I had RF issues with my BCS and the Honeywell igniters. So as a second thought I figure this may move the BCS away and out of the RF zone. As well as protect the router.

Not as "clean" as I had originally planned, but should help get me back on track.

Starting to look like the enclosures are just going to cost more than I expected for a plastic box.

Google "plastic enclosures" - lots of online sources with lots of sizes, styles, like this
PacTec

SODCT4535-2_0.jpg

Search for Sport Utility Boxes. They are waterproof. Hopefully they make the size you need. Northen Tool has a couple. - Dwain

Back