Swamp Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck09

Reaction score
Using a swamp cooler to keep my fermenting beer down in the mid 60s and on occassions I have to pull it out of the cold water to check temperature. Could this cause any problems while it is fermenting. I am guessing no, but wanted to be safe to be sure. Also since the cold water is up pretty high on the fermenting bucket is it pretty safe to say that the beer will be pretty close to the temperature of the water?

Taking the fermenter out of the water to get a temperature reading shouldn't matter. There should be a considerably long lag time before the wort would start to warm. When the fermentation is really active there can be a small thermal gradient between the middle of the bucket and the edges. As for the height of the water, during active fermentation there is enough natural mixing from top to bottom everything should be fine.

Why are you taking it out to check the temperature?

You answered your own question, the beer will be within a degree or two of the water.

Why are you taking it out to check the temperature?

You answered your own question, the beer will be within a degree or two of the water.

Well I wasn't sure if that is how it was. Hence why I asked. That is why I asked "is it safe to assume."

Back