Another Smoked Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
Here's the nuts and bolts of another smoked porter I'm making for some friends. This is off the top of my head, so I can't remember the exact hop amounts.

9.5 lbs. 2-row
2.5 lbs. Rauch Malt
0.75 lbs. Crystal 150
0.75 lbs. Chocolate Malt
0.5 lbs. Black Patent Malt

Target 90 min ~ 40 IBU
Willamette 20 min ~ 8 IBU

White Labs WLP-007 Dry English Ale

OG: 1.066
SRM: 40

Up the smoke, IMHO. In a recipe I based mine off of, the entire base malt was smoked.

FWIW, I used 5 lbs. of base malt (roughly 50% of the base grist) and I thought it could have used more smoke. My bro-in-law adored that beer.

Are there any commercial brews from which I could get an idea of what a smoked beer tastes like? It sounds interesting, just nothing I've ever heard of before. But I figure since I like the smokey-tasting Islay signle malt whiskies so much, I might like a smokey beer too.

I'd start with Alaskan Smoked Porter if you can get it. That is the benchmark.

The next option would be Stone Smoked Porter, but that uses peat malt, which is a whole different animal.

I used Bamberg and loved every drop of that beer.

My last smoked porter used 5 lbs and it was very smokey. I'm going for a little more subtle on this one. Closer to the Alaskan side than Stone. Plus this brew is for some friends who paid for the ingredients. I don't want to give them 2 cases of liquid smoke.

I know what you mean with the 5 lbs, just not quite what I had in mind for this brew. But for anyone that wants a good smokey beer, 5+ lbs is the way to go.

Latest posts

Back