Brewing my first batch right now...quick question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
My grains are steeping and I'm almost ready to start my boil....but one thing I' not 100% clear on that I'll need to know in about 2 hours. Should I fill my 3 piece airlock with sanitizer (I have C-Brite), or should I just use plain bottled water? Any advice I can get ASAP would be great!

Just be sure the wort has cooled completely before you fill up that airlock, otherwise the still cooling wort may just suck in whatever you have in the airlock. Every one of my first few batches did this, now for the first week or so I skip the airlock and just attach a blow off hose, or else sanitize the airlock and leave it dry for the first few hours until the temperature stabilizes.

tequila! It adds that something special twang when it gets sucked in. (not really)

I'm a proponent of using the star san/water in the airlock.
If I had cheap vodka, I'd use it, but I'm a whiskey man.

I'm a proponent of using the star san/water in the airlock.
If I had cheap vodka, I'd use it, but I'm a whiskey man.

Whiskey would work. Especially if you were doing a stout or porter. But that's assuming you could let yourself part with a shot or two. Just get a small flask of evan williams green label.

Back