Hog Drool Ale II

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceannt

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-04
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 days (minimum) at +-70
Tasting Notes
Very nice body for a \"light\" ESB, rich flavor, nice hop presence
9.5 Pounds Maris Otter malt
0.5 pounds Crystal malt 40
0.25pounds crystal malt 120
0.5 pounds Cara-Pils
2-oz Fuggle (4.5 AA) 60-min.
0.5-oz Fuggle 15-min.
1.25-oz Fuggle 5-min.

Infusion mash at 153-degrees for 60-min. Batch sparge with 170-degree water. I use my local high carbonate water, untreated.

This is one of my all time favorites. I formulated this one specifically for my pathetic, wimpy little 5-gallon beverage cooler MLT. It is on the light side of the ESB guidelines, but is very flavorful, and has the most delightful deep amber color, tinged with copper. This is by far my most requested beer, and many have tried to talk me into entering it into a competition. I never secondary this one, but leave it in primary for around a month.
The “parent” of this brew, “Hog Drool Ale” was one of my first recipes, and if anything even better (at least to me), but pushes the guideline envelope a bit, and has a touch of “slap yo mamma” to it. For it, use the same ingredients as listed but add:
One additional pound of M.O. (for a total of 10.5 pounds)
2-oz of chocolate malt (Brown malt is good too…)
0.25-pounds of dark brown sugar (or turbinado)
Split the last hop additions 50/50 with EKG.
Add a bit less than a quarter oz. of EKG hops to the cooled wort, just before pitching the yeast.
Adjust strike and sparge volumes accordingly for the increased grain.
This gives an O.G. of around 1.061 or higher.
Leave in primary for at least 5-weeks, and bottle condition for a month.

Back