what is your occupation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burton391

Reaction score
Been on here for a bit now learning as much as I can, and i gotta say there is alot of good information on here and has helped me alot. That said what dose everyone do for a living?

I'm curently in school to become a machinist.:ban:

welcome!

cnc or manual? specifics? mill? lathe? router?

cnc, lathe,mill,router pretty much everything, i have been mostly just on the manual metal lathe right now and im pretty stoked on it, but cnc is going to be the ****

Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late. I use the side door, that way Lumbergh can't see me, and, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour. I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

cnc, lathe,mill,router pretty much everything, i have been mostly just on the manual metal lathe right now and im pretty stoked on it, but cnc is going to be the ****

manual machining is fun. sometimes it just takes too long. i spent 6 hours making a very high precision lathe part that i could have ran on our cnc in 15 minutes. but it was tied up in 3 hour cycle time runs, after being offline for 10 days for turret motor failure, and then 2 more turret motors.

operation of vertical milling centers and horizontal lathes is ok... but more money in programming by far. it helps when you prove your own program instead of someone else's. i spent 2.5 years with my last employer... started as an operator then in about 3 months was doing tool/fixture setups and then got into programming. 2 axis lathes in g code is easy as pie. cnc covers sooooo many aspects of manufacture: robotic welders/painters/etc, machining, assembly, if you know g code it is possible to find work.

Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late. I use the side door, that way Lumbergh can't see me, and, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour. I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

Haha, nice!

I'm a machinist as well. I went to school for tool and die and though I do many things, I'm primarily a jig and fixture maker.

I'm a paper pusher. The fancy name is project management, but it's just scheduling meetings and harassing people.

I work for an armored truck company... Brinks. I get out of a big truck with ALOT of money and hope I dont get shot walking into the bank.

okay thats a pretty good office space reference. I usually don't like them but hey nice work :)

manual machining is fun. sometimes it just takes too long. i spent 6 hours making a very high precision lathe part that i could have ran on our cnc in 15 minutes. but it was tied up in 3 hour cycle time runs, after being offline for 10 days for turret motor failure, and then 2 more turret motors.

operation of vertical milling centers and horizontal lathes is ok... but more money in programming by far. it helps when you prove your own program instead of someone else's. i spent 2.5 years with my last employer... started as an operator then in about 3 months was doing tool/fixture setups and then got into programming. 2 axis lathes in g code is easy as pie. cnc covers sooooo many aspects of manufacture: robotic welders/painters/etc, machining, assembly, if you know g code it is possible to find work.

true u could run something that takes me 3 hours to make, in 45 sec in the cnc machine but we gotta work up to it . It is nice to know you can make something that precise on the manual lathe, even though some people say it cant be done.

man i think i have heared this somewhere.

true u could run something that takes me 3 hours to make, in 45 sec in the cnc machine but we gotta work up to it . It is nice to know you can make something that precise on the manual lathe, even though some people say it cant be done.

i had to make something similar to this. it was a bearing press tool. 6061-t651. all od's i had .0002 tolerance called out, .0005 perpendicularity everywhere, and .0000 runout on circularity of the bore over almost 5".. sorry about the contrast. i made a quick drawing and didn't save it before i realized the clarity issue. you get the idea. it took 6 hours to make it... no tailstock, the hardinge copy lathe i was using's tailstock was .005 below center and .01 in positive x off. i made it in one shot.

untitled.jpg

professional reader, aka, history grad student.

Me eyes are bleeding!!

i had to make something similar to this. it was a bearing press tool. 6061-t651. all od's i had .0002 tolerance called out, .0005 perpendicularity everywhere, and .0000 runout on circularity of the bore over almost 5".. sorry about the contrast. i made a quick drawing and didn't save it before i realized the clarity issue. you get the idea. it took 6 hours to make it... no tailstock, the hardinge copy lathe i was using's tailstock was .005 below center and .01 in positive x off. i made it in one shot.

Before i got into the class i never realy even knew what a machinisnt did. Now that i have been in the class for a bit its crazy the kind of tolerances that can be workend with. is there any cool projects that maybe you did or i could do that would help my brewing, or the brewing comunity.

Full time student to go into graphic design, supervisor for a valet company in the meantime (mostly private house parties, weddings, and corporate events).

multi-layer plastics technician....or blown film extrusion operator....or...oh hell..I make plastic

Gleefully RETIRED! But I was a teacher/church musician in congregations of the Lutheran Church -- Missouri Synod for over 41 years.

Latest posts

Back