going pro... kinda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanneltrees804

Reaction score
There are probably a few threads about this but I couldn't find any in the few seconds of searching I did. I work for a small retail shop in IL and we are putting in a tavern in the half of the shop not currently in use. My boss and I were talking about it today and he has been thinking about possibly brewing our own beer for the tavern.

The question(s): what is this going to take? He would want me to do the brewing and I know I need formal training before taking this on. It won't need to be a very big brewing setup, just a few barrels because we will basically only be supplying the tavern and selling growlers.

And if this isn't in the right forum please move it, thank you.

A few other details... money isn't really an issue, he would be funding it and things are good right now. Space is also not an issue. The tavern is a separate company to the retail shop so licensing shouldn't be a problem but that's the first thing we are going to look at.

How big and what types of equipment do we need? Even though cost isn't a huge deal, what will initial setup costs be? How much beer do we need to sell to make this profitable? I know a lot of these questions are extremely subjective but i'm looking for ballpark figures. Any thoughts are welcome.

One thing I can tell you is that you don't need any formal training to run a nano. IMO, formal training is a waste of money. Spend 20k to come out making 10 bucks/hour. Another thing I can tell you is that you are about a year's worth of time away from figuring out the answers to your questions. (And this probably isn't the place to look)

Back