Cry Havoc for California Common?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
Has anyone used White Labs Cry Havoc (the Papazian strain) in a steam beer/california common? Someone gave me an out of date vial of it and I'm thinking of using it for this instead of the yeast I usually use (i.e. San Francisco Lager).

Seems like it'd do the job, based on its performance profile, but thought I'd solicit opinions.

Thx.

I would also like to know. I am trying to find something to do with cry havoc as well. But thinking about it you could probably use it in just about any beer. Lager/ale. except ones where the yeast determines the flavor.

I had an old bottle of Cry Havoc, made a starter and pitched it into an experimental IPA. The yeast was slow, in both the starter and the fermentor. Agonizingly slow.
The beer was lackluster, tasted incomplete somehow.
The same recipe using Wyeast 1056 American Ale was wicked tasty.

Cry Havoc may taste fine in a California Common... however, you might miss out on some of the 'funk' that comes with a straight lager yeast.

Back