Best Fridge for Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakersbrew

Reaction score
I am brand new to brewing beer but I already love it. I am in Southern California and it is getting really hot right now (90F in mid April). I am already ready to invest in a fridge/freezer to use as a fermentation chamber so I can get the best taste out of my beer. My closet where I ferment is at 83F right now. Tooooo hot.

Here is what I am thinking - I could go with a chest freezer or refrigerator but it might take up too much space. I am willing to sacrifice the space but I am leaning towards a mini fridge. I know I have to buy the temperature override no matter what I do, and thats fine.

Can anyone give me advice as to which method would be the best. Also what size of mini fridge would definitely be able to hold my plastic fermentation pale with ferment lock on top? (dimensions are 12 inches wide, 24 inches tall, 12 inches deep) I am looking for a specific brand or size.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Cheap or free on craigslist if size doesn't matter. I got one for $50 that would fit a bucket. I had to "modify" the freezer portion and am going to use it for a kegerator.
I prefer to use a small freezer for fermentation though. I can fit 2 carboys right now.

Either way your right, you need a temp controller.

Here is what I am thinking - I could go with a chest freezer or refrigerator but it might take up too much space. I am willing to sacrifice the space but I am leaning towards a mini fridge. I know I have to buy the temperature override no matter what I do, and thats fine.

By "too much space" do you mean floor space, or does the height dimension matter as well? A small chest freezer is slightly larger than a mini-fridge, but is a lot more useful, IMO, since it can fit more inside. A full-size fridge is not as good, since the freezer space is wasted.

Back