American Lager J-stone' springtime lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-stone

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast2001(urquell)
Yeast Starter
1 ltr of yeast cake from previous batch(gene 2)that makes this 3rd gen
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
1.050ish
Final Gravity
1.009-007
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
18 ish
Color
golden/caramel due to extract use
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
light, crisp, VERY faint notes of hop character. Women LOVE this beer!!!
Just becouse you don't brew All-Grain, doesn't mean that you can't make good beer. I enjoy both brewing styles. Extract is great if you don't have a lot of time or energy.

This is the beer that EVERYONE will like. Almost BMC'ish. This is the one that everyone says"you made this"?

DO NOT ADD ALL OF LME TO BOIL.

(ingredients).5lb carafoam, 6.75lbs Xtra light LME, 1.2oz hersbrucker 5.2%A, 1.6oz Saaz 3%A, tspn irish moss

add 1/2 LME to .5 gal H2O, bring to boil, boil only for 5 min, set aside( this will mean better hop utilization and lighter color. IMHO

3gal H2O( Do not use city water)
.5 lb carafoam steep 30min at 150-155
Add 1/2 LME and bring to boil
1.2oz Hersbrucker @ 60 min
0.6oz Saaz @ 15 min
1oz Saaz @ flameout
top off with cold clean H2O(preboiled and chilled is recomended, but I go straight from the hose)
cool to ferment temp, pitch, seal, ferment between 45-50.

on the 17th day turn fridge down about 10 deg. (Cold crash)
keg at 10 psi, leave for two weeks, enjoy:mug:

Hey, you just made a great beer and it didn't take all freaking day:ban:

I have moved from late edition extract brewing to this style becouse of the hops at flameout, with too much sugar in the pot, you don't get the wonderful Saaz aroma in the end.

Just becouse you don't brew All-Grain, doesn't mean that you can't make good beer. I enjoy both brewing styles. Extract is great if you don't have a lot of time or energy.

This is the beer that EVERYONE will like. Almost BMC'ish. This is the one that everyone says"you made this"?

DO NOT ADD ALL OF LME TO BOIL.

(ingredients).5lb carafoam, 6.75lbs Xtra light LME, 1.2oz hersbrucker 5.2%A, 1.6oz Saaz 3%A, tspn irish moss

add 1/2 LME to .5 gal H2O, bring to boil, boil only for 5 min, set aside( this will mean better hop utilization and lighter color. IMHO

3gal H2O( Do not use city water)
.5 lb carafoam steep 30min at 150-155
Add 1/2 LME and bring to boil
1.2oz Hersbrucker @ 60 min
0.6oz Saaz @ 15 min
1oz Saaz @ flameout
top off with cold clean H2O(preboiled and chilled is recomended, but I go straight from the hose)
cool to ferment temp, pitch, seal, ferment between 45-50.

on the 17th day turn fridge down about 10 deg. (Cold crash)
keg at 10 psi, leave for two weeks, enjoy:mug:

Hey, you just made a great beer and it didn't take all freaking day:ban:

I have moved from late edition extract brewing to this style becouse of the hops at flameout, with too much sugar in the pot, you don't get the wonderful Saaz aroma in the end.

You use a lager strain, and ferment at 50 degrees or so? And then skip the lagering portion of making a lager? sorry, but the directions are not the least bit clear.

I have a wee bit of an issue with saying "Women LOVE this beer" as if women have different taste buds than men. I appreciate that lots of people will enjoy it though!

YES, women have different taste in beer on average(in my experience).
The reason that I don't "lager" this beer is becouse this is a brew to drink in just over a month, that and it's extract, it cleans up in two weeks. My AG batches that are a premium style pilsner beer I lager for about four to six weeks(ya I know, not long, but I don't want to wait anylonger).

I posted this recipe because when I started brewing there where NO recipes(that I could find, and I looked alot) that use lager yeast(I hate esters) and are ready to drink in a month AND taste impeccably clean with NO fruity esters. As I have said this is a batch for people who don't want to spend all day brewing, plus most newbies WILL NOT wait for the lagering process. I brew beer for me, but this is the recipe that I allways revert to when I have a gathering in LESS THAN two month's and NEED a GOOD beer to serve the family.

P.S. If you plan to lager for more than a month, you'd better hop it up just a little. Otherwise there will be no discernable hop character.
And once again yes, MOST women that I have ever drank with do not like the same beer as MOST men that I have drank with. This is the beer that gets EVERY women to say, "may I have another"?:tank:

To each is their own, and this is mine:)

Back