How do you pour your beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliu630

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I was reading BA's site on how to pour beer and it says to pour it at a 45 degree angle first and then at 1/2 point to turn it upright and pour the rest to get the foam. I noticed when I do this, i usually don't get as much foam. Now on some other sites, I've read that you pour upright first and then tilt 45 degrees. I prefer this method even though it's slower because more foam builds up for me and I have to let it settle before pouring more. Anyways, this got me to thinking how everyone else does it.

So...how do you pour your beer and why do you do it that way?

I pour the first way, tilted and then upright. However often I may make my pour more vigorous on the upright part to achieve more head.

In a glass:ban:

No, I too tilt first, then upright. Sometimes I have to raise the bottle a bit to get the amount of agitation neccesary to get the head I want.

deathweed said:
In a glass:ban:

No, I too tilt first, then upright. Sometimes I have to raise the bottle a bit to get the amount of agitation neccesary to get the head I want.
me 2
Very Gentle, then splash the heck out of the last few drops to form some foam.

I poor it at about 90 degrees in a funnel and then bong the sh*t out of it. On a serious note, I tilt first and then poor. For me this is how I get the best head. :D

PUN intended

Upright, then tilt. I pour my homebrews very slowly to avoid agitating the yeast sediment in the bottle, and this is the best way to still get a decent head.

I tend to pour slowly at a 45 degree so I don't disturb the yeast down the edge of the glass and the last 1/3 down the center. But depending on style and amount of head I will change that to whatever works.

I usually pour the first bit upright to get some foam, then tilt to 45 and fill until the beer is about to spill out of the glass, then finish up the rest upright.

beergears said:
How about pouring some of the commercial Belgians...?

In my extremely-limited experience, I get way too much foam, even with a side pour...

Best way?

Slow. Very slow. If you put them in a goblet, a 12 oz. bottle will fit. Tilt, pour gently, and when the head starts to hit the rim of the glass, tilt upright and slow the pour way way down. Most of them should be able to retain a head above the rim. The trick with these is you don't want to aright the bottle on the pour, or you will disturb the sediment.

I use cold water rinsed glasses...I tilt, but sometimes with Weizens I just put the glass over the bottle and reverse it as you would an expired hourglass then slowly lift the bottle out of the glass until it's full. ;)

homebrewer_99 said:
I use cold water rinsed glasses...I tilt, but sometimes with Weizens I just put the glass over the bottle and reverse it as you would an expired hourglass then slowly lift the bottle out of the glass until it's full. ;)

Interesting! How big of a sponge will I need to clean up the mess before SWMBO finds it???

It depends on the style. In a pils I pour the first 2-3oz straight down in the bottom of the glass and then let it rest for about a min then tilt the glass and pour the rest. But in a stout I pour tilted about 3/4 of the way let it rest and pour the rest straight down. I try to do a rest when pouring any beer I find it helps with the aroma of the beer.

I watch how much foam is or isn't being created by my tilt pour, then adjust from there. It's like using the clutch to get the best power to the road. :)

Depends, sometimes I know there won't be much head so I pour those vigourusly. If I know there will be a big head very slow. I guess it depends on my control, I mean if I bottle late there is probably less suspended yeast to carb, sometimes I am less accurate with adding priming sugar, sometimes maybe the style, sometimes I pour a beer early, sometimes later so for me there are several factors as to how. I also rarely make a batch exactly the same way so they are almost always different.

If the glass is straight sided, I actually pour against the far side of the glass, untilted. Then I transition to the center. I try to do it in a smooth motion so the last drop hits just before the head crests, without going over. Every beer is different. It's a game i like playing.

Back