Interested in a Hop Rhizome Group Buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwood

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking to get some dwarf variety rhizomes, particularly Summit. I've only found one grower and they don't sell rhizomes from what I've been told. I'd really really like to grow this hop this year, but alas.

I was thinking though, money talks and if there were more interested parties involved we might be able to come up with a nice offer...just a thought. Anybody interested?

Some info on Summit for those that haven't used it:

Summit is a recently-released high-alpha (17 to 19% AAU) hop variety. It is a dwarf variety grown on a low trellis system. Because the low trellis is not machine harvestable, these hops are gently picked by hand in the field and are, assumably, less damaged by the harvesting process. Chumulone levels are low at 25-28% of alpha.
Summit is said to have strong orange and tangerine citrus notes in its flavor, making it ideal for brewing American style IPAs (especially IIPAs) and Pale Ales.

Typical Use : Bittering
Alpha Acid : 17 to 19% AAU
Origination : USA
Characteristics : Citrus (orange, tangerine, grapefruit)
Styles : American Pale Ale, American IPA
Similar Hops : Cascade, Amarillo

EDIT: Mods - please feel free to move if you think this would be best somewhere else.

I'd be down for a couple of those! Finding high alpha american hops is hard!! I'm looking for as many rhizomes that i can find for ipa style beers.

AA%s don't really matter with homegrown hops. You can't tell where they're at unless you have them tested, so they're not useful for bittering. I use mine for mostly aroma or dryhopping...

Brewing Clamper said:
I'd be down for one. How dwarf are we talking here?

They are only supposed to get up to about eight feet, ten tops from what I've heard. I've read that they are fantastic for both bittering and aroma (dry hopping as well).

I was just looking for a summit rhizome supplier last night. I'm interested but as Soulive said...it's really a crap shot with the AA%.

Soulive said:
AA%s don't really matter with homegrown hops. You can't tell where they're at unless you have them tested, so they're not useful for bittering. I use mine for mostly aroma or dryhopping...

So wait til' the third year and send a couple ounces with a $40.00 check to the USDA testing lab and have them tested. Then use that figure as an average.

IBU calcs are a corner lot ballpark estimation at best no matter what.

And there are other ways to estimate the bitterness of a HG hop. Google Zymurgy Home Grown hops 1998 for an example.

You can expect home-grown to be in the AA% range for the hop. That's close enough for me. OSU has some 19.8% hop they developed for one of the majors. Ate one of the pellets two years ago. :fro: Couldn't taste a blasted thing the rest of the day & I was at a Beer Fest. I might try getting some.

Chimone said:
ill take one. that will make 7 varieties for me this year.

......what hop shortage?

Nice. Yep, I've got cascade and chinook coming and I'm thinking about a couple more. I'd love to get some Summit as well, really excited about it...on the mission.

I'm planning on giving the grower a call next week to see what I can work out. I've already been told by suppliers that they don't sell rhizomes but it's worth a shot.

Anybody that knows of folks that are selling the rhizomes, please post up or PM info...I've yet to find anybody to date.

If you come up with a source, I would be intrested. We are planning on converting 5 acres of our hay ground to hop production this spring, and possibly the whole 40 acres over the next few years if they take off. We are only about 50 miles from AB's Elk Mountain Farm, the biggest hop farm in the US(1800 acres of never endng hop bines).

ScoutMan said:
If you come up with a source, I would be intrested. We are planning on converting 5 acres of our hay ground to hop production this spring, and possibly the whole 40 acres over the next few years if they take off. We are only about 50 miles from AB's Elk Mountain Farm, the biggest hop farm in the US(1800 acres of never endng hop bines).

The answers I'm getting a bit bleak unfortunately. Apparently Summit has to be licensed, as such there are only a couple of growers that use it currently. In talking to suppliers and growers alike I'm beginning to see the reality of the situation here.

One or two more calls to make today and I'll post an update.

I'm pretty sure Yakima Chief at least has the rights to grow it. I could pick them up at the farm if they would be willing to let some go. I'm down in the Yakima area fairly regularly.

ScoutMan said:
I'm pretty sure Yakima Chief at least has the rights to grow it. I could pick them up at the farm if they would be willing to let some go. I'm down in the Yakima area fairly regularly.

I've got one guy over at BA that would like to pick 100 to 150 rhizomes if the price is right. There are another twenty or so at BA that would like some plus all the members that have posted to this thread. All told, we could get a decent amount of money together...

FWIW, FreshHops is located in Philomath, Or, which just happens to be on my way to Newport, Or (Rogue). If we decided to buy from them (not sure about them having summitt though), I could make a weekend trip to the coast to pick them up. I'm in the market for around 50-100 rhizomes, but I want to get mostly Cascade, Willamette, and Chinook. I know Freshhops will have rhizomes in mid march, as will Puterbaugh Farms in Mabton, Wa. I'm waiting on a call back from them regarding a bulk rhizome purchase right now.

ScoutMan said:
FWIW, FreshHops is located in Philomath, Or, which just happens to be on my way to Newport, Or (Rogue). If we decided to buy from them (not sure about them having summitt though), I could make a weekend trip to the coast to pick them up. I'm in the market for around 50-100 rhizomes, but I want to get mostly Cascade, Willamette, and Chinook. I know Freshhops will have rhizomes in mid march, as will Puterbaugh Farms in Mabton, Wa. I'm waiting on a call back from them regarding a bulk rhizome purchase right now.

I talked to Dave at Freshops via email and he had said that Summit rhizomes aren't available being that it's a proprietary variety :( I put a call into another LBHS supplier and another (last on my list) grower...doesn't look to good for summits.

I'd still take that trip to Rogue though :mug: I miss the PNW (used to live Humboldt and Del Norte Co's)

EDIT/UPDATE

Well, after calling an annoying enough people I've come to the conclusion that it's going to be next to impossible to get Summit rhizomes (short of licensing them for commercial use). If anybody comes up with anything to the contrary please feel free to post or PM.

I would be extremely interested in jumping in on a group purchase. I am getting ready to do some experimenting on my farm here in Ohio. I've got a good irrigated spot that would be perfect for dwarf varieties.

Not sure if this is going to be an active group buy seeing that the OP was in Feb, but if anyone is planning on doing this again this spring, I'm down for a couple.

Not sure if this is going to be an active group buy seeing that the OP was in Feb, but if anyone is planning on doing this again this spring, I'm down for a couple.

I started this thread based on the premise that I was going to try and get some Summit rhizomes that aren't available to anybody outside commercial growers that actually have a license to grow it...but alas.

That said, we should do a group buy this season. I'll send Dave an email and see if he'd be up for giving any volume discounts.

I started this thread based on the premise that I was going to try and get some Summit rhizomes that aren't available to anybody outside commercial growers that actually have a license to grow it...but alas.

That said, we should do a group buy this season. I'll send Dave an email and see if he'd be up for giving any volume discounts.

Sounds good to me **Subscribed**

Any word on this?

Buyer beware. I had a twig from Freshops last year that didn't sprout. I e-mailed them and they asked if I planted it right side up. The two others that i got from them that actually looked viable had already broken ground. I wrote back and never got a response. Others on here have had good experience with this site, but an offering of simcoe or amarillo rhizomes won't be enough to bring me back. Too many other places to get roots. YMMV

Any word on this?

I contacted Dave and he'd be up for it. My concern would be the bulk of a large shipment going to a residential address (that and it's still not clear what kind of a discount we could actually get as it would most likely depend on volume).

What do you guys think? If anybody has had experience running GB's here in the past, would you be so kind as to offer up examples of others that have been well organized and executed?

Hi, were you successful in obtaining Summit rhizomes? I'm looking to buy a couple for my home hop garden.

I've been looking to get some dwarf variety rhizomes, particularly Summit. I've only found one grower and they don't sell rhizomes from what I've been told. I'd really really like to grow this hop this year, but alas.

I was thinking though, money talks and if there were more interested parties involved we might be able to come up with a nice offer...just a thought. Anybody interested?

Some info on Summit for those that haven't used it:

Summit is a recently-released high-alpha (17 to 19% AAU) hop variety. It is a dwarf variety grown on a low trellis system. Because the low trellis is not machine harvestable, these hops are gently picked by hand in the field and are, assumably, less damaged by the harvesting process. Chumulone levels are low at 25-28% of alpha.
Summit is said to have strong orange and tangerine citrus notes in its flavor, making it ideal for brewing American style IPAs (especially IIPAs) and Pale Ales.

Typical Use : Bittering
Alpha Acid : 17 to 19% AAU
Origination : USA
Characteristics : Citrus (orange, tangerine, grapefruit)
Styles : American Pale Ale, American IPA
Similar Hops : Cascade, Amarillo

EDIT: Mods - please feel free to move if you think this would be best somewhere else.

Did anyone actually receive any dwarf rhizomes?
The last I have heard is they are not available to the public yet.
If you have reeived please let us know where to get them.

Thanks
Rob

I am currently looking hard for Summit rhizomes also so I am definitely in. (I always buy 2 in case one doesn't grow) Interestingly I found this quote about Summit:

"The first hedgerow (dwarf) hop variety to be grown commercially in the United States, and the first to be available to home hop growers as a rhizome..."
(found *HERE*)

Either it is or was available to the home grower or this information is incorrect. I am also definitely getting some Zeus rhizomes this year. (Almost identical to the Columbus/Tomahawk variety).

EDIT: I guess I resurrected an old thread but I am interested if there are any new developments or if anyone knows where to get this variety.

Back