Kegging and aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to be buying some kegging equipment this week. My question involves aging a big beer. A Barley Wine, to be exact. I'd like to age it for at least 12 Months. Can I leave it in the keg for that long without Carbonization? How about I leave the Beer in the Secondary instead for aging? I really don't want to tie up a keg for 12 Months. Will the beer age properly in the Secondary?

I was going to bottle the Beer, but I don't want to run into any issues as far as the high Alcohol Content. I have heard from many that if you are going to bottle a Big Beer, you have to make special accomidations come bottling time. I don't want to go that route. Leaving it in the secondary would be best for me.

keg aging is fine, you just bleed off the air by purging the keg with CO2 a few times.

secondary aging is fine, just get it off as much yeast as you can. at 12 months, you'd need to re-pitch yeast at bottling time to get carbonation.

Aging in the keg or secondary is fine, just depends which vessel you don't mind being full for that long. If you plan on bottling after a year, you are going to have to add more yeast for sure, but if you are carbing in the keg and serving/bottling, you should be fine.

edit: d'oh

jumping on this thread with another question BUT NOT OFF TOPIC:

I usually go through kegs before the next ones are ready so it isn't an issue usually BUT if I want to fill and store as in the original post in a corny keg. say a standard gravity beer that is finished after secondary but I'm not ready or I have multiple batches running.

sanitize keg / fill with brew / purge air with co2 then.....

for longer term storage at 60F+ or so what is the best pressure, etc.? will it be ok for months with some internal pressure? I'm guessing some yeast would still be active in the keg to some degree do you check it regularly for overpressure or is too minimal at this point.

I usually hit them with 30psi to seal the up then bleed out to serving PSI and let them ride for a week or so in the frig. if I am drinking them.

thanks and I think this will help the original poster as well in the future.
jld

Latest posts

Back