Meatloaf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgressler

Reaction score
3+ lbs ground beef
2 lbs ground pork
Salt
Pepper
Paprika
Thyme
Cayenne pepper
1 garlic shallot
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 lg onion
1 lb bacon
Swiss cheese
10 oz plain bread crumbs

Dice peppers onion and garlic cook in a pan with some butter till soft.
Cook bacon

Mix meat spices bread crumbs and veggies in a large bowl.

Layout a cling wrap out about 12 -15 inches long and spread meat out 1/4 or so thick.
Spread cheese and bacon and roll it up. Tuck edges in and cover in cling wrap toss it fridge for a few hours.

Once I was ready to smoke'em I threw some rub on'em and tossed them on the WSM at 250. Cook till 160 internal View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421530396.469195.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421530452.679717.jpg

Holy schnikey that looks good .I've got a meatloaf recipe we really love , but never thought to try smoking it. Gonna gotta do that.

I thought I was only coming here for beer things I guess I was wrong I'm going to have to do this real soon

Thanks everyone. Still going to gnaw on it today for lunch.

Not sure what my next meal will be but since Super Bowl weekend is coming up smoked wings are a sure hit but a big'ol brisket sounds great too.

Looks good and moist. I'm sure it has tons of flavor, too. Smoked meatloaf has never crossed my mind. Sounds interesting.

But peppers in meatloaf? That's a first for me. Also, paprika, thyme, garlic, and bacon to an extent. My family likes a layer of cheddar cheese in the middle, but I find this makes things too greasy after everything cooks.

Have you ever tried it with day old bread pieces instead of breadcrumbs? Or a combination?

I always use whole milk to moisten things up, egg for a binder, a tiny bit of dijon, fresh chopped parsley, and ketchup oddly enough works great as an exterior glaze. It adds the tomato element and a tang to combat all of the fat.

I've never made meatloaf before. Wife has made it a few times in the oven.

I was looking for recipes this weekend and searched on bbq-brethen almost all smoked meatloafs had some version of peppers in them.
The bacon people will wrap it on the outside like a fatty but while I love bacon thats a little more bacon than I wanted to use so I figured I would stuff inside.

I did see some where they would take tomato paste and spread it on the top/outside as a glaze and all said it was great.
Only reason I used swiss is because its what I had.I really wanted to use goat cheese but I didnt have any and didnt feel like running to the store.

I didnt use anything to moisten the loaf besides what moisture came from cooking the peppers in a bit of butter.

I dont think theres much you can add to a meatloaf that isnt a good idea.

I make a fantastic meatloaf but anything getting added in gets run through the food processor not diced. It's the only reason I still have a food processor. I find the texture to be more agreeable.

I make a fantastic meatloaf but anything getting added in gets run through the food processor not diced. It's the only reason I still have a food processor. I find the texture to be more agreeable.

Once you cook the peppers and onions in the butter is softens the peppers and caramelizes the onions. SO its not like biting into a crisp veggie.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Always love cooking something people enjoy. Nothing like hanging around outside all day during the summer drinkin a few and smoking animal flesh.:rockin:

Merica

Once you cook the peppers and onions in the butter is softens the peppers and caramelizes the onions. SO its not like biting into a crisp veggie.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Always love cooking something people enjoy. Nothing like hanging around outside all day during the summer drinkin a few and smoking animal flesh.:rockin:

Merica

what would complete it is playing Bat Out of Hell 2 while making a video of you smoking the loaf and post it on YouTube. :rockin:

Looks tasty. I have been craving a good meatloaf for a while. Maybe I will give your recipe a try.

One question though. Did you smoke them on paper towels? I am guessing it was to keep them from falling apart on the smoker, but wouldn't that stick to the meat after all is said and smoked?

vanishing is correct its parchment paper. I read you should be able to take it off half way through the smoke but I didnt. The meatloaf was pretty firm so I dont think it would have sunk into the grates much but if you made one that as slight less firm it could be an issue.
But it slide right of easily.

Back