Drinking my first beer!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Biggest things I learned from my first beer was airlock activity means nothing!! I fermented this for 4 weeks and only had activity on the second day for 12 hours. Sure enough it fermented.

This is VERY encouraging! My first brew has been in the fermenter for about 72 hours now. I got good bubbling in the air lock after a few hours but then it quit about 15 hours later. Now, where did I put that jar of patience?

This is VERY encouraging! My first brew has been in the fermenter for about 72 hours now. I got good bubbling in the air lock after a few hours but then it quit about 15 hours later. Now, where did I put that jar of patience?

There's no such thing as patience with your first batch. I was checking my carboy every couple hours, and I must have taken 10 gravity readings within a week just so I could see how close to my target gravity I was...and to steal a taste. Then I couldn't keep my hands off of it while I dry hopped it in my keg...kept tasting it to see how the dry hops changed day-by-day. By the time my beer wasn't green anymore and finally started to hit its prime I only had about 3 or 4 pints left. Nobody is patient with their first batch.

Congratulations! Out of all the advice I could give you, probably the most important would be....remember to keep having fun while doing it. Some people can get pretty uptight about things, and I don't personally think that is what brewing is all about. It still amazes me that I can take those basic ingredients, do a few things, and wind up with such a good thing in the end. As it has already been stated, welcome to the obsession!!!

9Frogs is right! Just brew what you want, have fun and expect to make mistakes! I've been brewing off and on since 05' and trust me i've made quite a few mistakes and tried so many things!

One thing I would recommend is going all grain and kegging. Those two things where the biggest game changes for me and also most expensive. :D Might as well make the investment now cause once you start brewing you can't stop!

Congrats on the new hobby or should I say obsession... good luck an keep on brewing! :tank:

Congrats! That looks quite good too! I did the same thing with my first successful brew. After a week it went right into the fridge to try as quickly as possible.

That's a hell of a way to start! (note the quote at the end of my signature)

Perhaps I am. Hahahahaha
Arrogant bastard clone turned out awesome, then was a 2 hearted ale clone... Which was also delicious... Just started drinking my RyePA. Got a IIPA being bottled Saturday, did a Rogue Dead Guy clone this past Saturday and did a strawberry blond this morning.... I have done 6 brews in a month n a half.
Trying to get my flow a flowin.

congrats.
My first was horrible I was the only one who willingly drank it after the first sip.
But I haven't stopped brewing....

I forget who posted this, but for an idea of what you're getting into, I offer this quote......

Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It is the job of the brewer to make it as complicated and as expensive as his budet and spouse will allow.

I forget who posted this, but for an idea of what you're getting into, I offer this quote......

Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It is the job of the brewer to make it as complicated and as expensive as his budet and spouse will allow.

That is awesome

+1 on a saison as a summer beer, ferment out in the garage when its 75-90 degrees, youll get great flavor from the saison yeast. the Austin Homebrew Summer Saison Belgian Ale is what i did last summer, still have 2 left, so good.

COngrats!
I also just tried my first beer this wknd. It had been bottle a wk and in the fridge 1 day. came out with great color, good head, and excellent carbonation. the proud father comment is funny. I also said that to my wife about my belgian wit. I said "u gotta try and taste of my little baby wit. I feel like a proud papa!"
Too funny.
I wish i had more bottles or could afford a keg. Id be brewing again. Im still workin on getting a wort chiller and a brew kettle. I had to borrow stuff from my buddy down the road. so I guess it's 2 batches at a time.
Like Im sure you feel...Im excited and cant wait to do more. again' congradulations and cheers to many more happy brews!

good job and congratulations :rockin:
If you become anything like me, any spare money and time will soon be devoted to brewing. :drunk:

Congrats! I bottled my first brew last Sunday, Autumn Amber Ale. I can't wait to pop the top on my first one.

Congrats! Have to say, get that auto-siphon and wort chiller though! Those were the last two integral parts of my brewery, and I have to say (redundantly), they make life much easier. Auto siphons are incredibly cheap anyway, so you might as well just get one.

9Frogs is right! Just brew what you want, have fun and expect to make mistakes! I've been brewing off and on since 05' and trust me i've made quite a few mistakes and tried so many things!

One thing I would recommend is going all grain and kegging. Those two things where the biggest game changes for me and also most expensive. :D Might as well make the investment now cause once you start brewing you can't stop!

Congrats on the new hobby or should I say obsession... good luck an keep on brewing! :tank:

I totally agree about kegging. It's actually quite funny, now I got my kegerator back with the double tap (my lovely wife made me get it from my parents basement where it sat for 9 years) I actually bottle more than I used to.

You have to love a SWMBO that forces you to get your kegerator and put it in your dining room.

Drinking my first brew. Autumn Amber Ale. I'm very happy with the results. Pretty clear and very tasty. Extract brew. Fermented in my temperature controlled freezer. Cold crashed before racking.
ForumRunner_20130823_202043.png

Alright just remembered my password. And I just kegged for the first time about 20 minutes ago. A pumpkin ale. Hope it taste as good as it smells.

Back