Southeastern VA/Eastern NC???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewPirate

Reaction score
Is there anyone else in the Hampton Roads area that would be interested in starting a group buy? All other VA buys are 3+ hours away (6+ round trip)... I realize that I'm not "well established," so someone else would need to put their name on the line. Really just trying to drum up some interest here.

I shot you a PM a couple days ago about this. If you are still interested shoot me one back.

+1 In Chesapeake and really interested, my hobby is getting a tad bit on the spendy side and any kinda of group discount we could get would be:rockin:

The bulk grain looked a little less than what I planned to pay, but the hops prices looked great. I'm in for at least a 50 lb bag of grain and a few lbs of hops.

Since I don't have anything stored or stockpiles, I would probably be getting around 100 pounds total in grains and at least quite a few pounds in hops... And maybe one of those Jack Daniel's whiskey barrels :rockin:

Definitely interested!! Va Beach

I'm going to need at least 100-150# grain and 3-4# hops this year

I will see what it takes to set up an account with the distributor. Lets try to get a specific list together.

I will see what it takes to set up an account with the distributor. Lets try to get a specific list together.

You want specific items for orders?

And thanks for looking into this! :rockin:

I may be able to help with transport or storage or something.

I guess just let us know if a want a list pm'd or posted. Thanks again for getting this together, let me know what i can do to help, my work schedule permitting that is...

I contacted the distributor. They are not taking on any new homebrewer accounts. The lady I talked to refered me to a retail sight... So for now group buy is on hold unless someone else has any ideas?:confused:

I may have a line on 50 lb sacks of 2 row pale ale for $50. Not group buy prices, but lowest I can find around here. Will let you all know if it's a good option until we can get a group buy together.

DonNowlin said:
I may have a line on 50 lb sacks of 2 row pale ale for $50. Not group buy prices, but lowest I can find around here. Will let you all know if it's a good option until we can get a group buy together.

They'll sell you 2-row for $52 at HomeBrewUSA, FWIW

Hmmm I need to start saving for a mill. I'm surprised homebrew USA has a good price. So far everything there seems marked up way above online competitors.

Surprised me too! I go to the one in Norfolk, and I could've fallen over when they told me their 50# prices. Their hop prices & per pound grain prices are absurd, but the bulk grain is great!

Exactly. I checked out after a guy who was buying a full recipe that just looked standard 9-12 lbs grain and a few oz hops and his total was $50. I'm glad I was only buying bottle caps! But if their bags of grain are reasonable I'm in for supporting them that way. They are a great resource for odds and ends. I like wine and cake hobbies as well for that same reason. I'll have to ask what their bulk grain price is next time I go in.

I went to wine and cake hobbies website and they sell their briess 2-row for 49.95 a sack. Here's a link. Also they offer a coupon every month for 10% off a purchase of $15 or more, or 20% off a purchase of $100 or more when you sign up for their monthly email. So with the coupon you are looking at $40-$45 a bag which is pretty good for a local store. At least I think so.

Vellum said:
I went to wine and cake hobbies website and they sell their briess 2-row for 49.95 a sack. Here's a link. Also they offer a coupon every month for 10% off a purchase of $15 or more, or 20% off a purchase of $100 or more when you sign up for their monthly email. So with the coupon you are looking at $40-$45 a bag which is pretty good for a local store. At least I think so.

That's the place I was talking with. Didnt know they had 50# on their website or had 10% off. Calling them next week for an order. Even though HomebrewUSA is closer, I go into Norfolk about once a week. Takes them 2-3 days for the sacks when you order according to Chris.

I've purchased two sacks from HomebrewUSA before. One 2-row and one white wheat. Each was $55. Not a horrible price for bulk grains, but I was hoping for a little bit better with a bulk buy, in the high $30s to low $40s. I'll have to give Cake and Wine a shot sometime.

Spoke with Wine and Cake Hobbies today. They are having a groupon on Living Social for $15 off $30 of merchandise (or $30 off) starting 1 March. They also said they would work with us for a bulk group buy. They need a list of what we want before they can tell us how much the costs will be. I've never done a group buy, have a truck to move it, or room to store, but am willing to compile the list and work with others to make a buy. Thoughts??

Don't know if you're still in the S.E. VA area, but I came upon this old post by searching for a VA group purchase. Did you get one started?

Reviving old thread. We now have a group buy set up. If anyone still follows this and is interested, contact me.

I'm near Charlotte, NC. Not sure how far away pickup would be, but keep me in mind if close. I've been looking for a group buy around here. I live in Clover, SC but work in Charlotte.

I'm near Charlotte, NC. Not sure how far away pickup would be, but keep me in mind if close. I've been looking for a group buy around here. I live in Clover, SC but work in Charlotte.
That's probably about 6 hours away from here (VA Beach), so I'm not sure if it would be worth it for you. I guess if you got enough, but a couple bags with shipping might be a better option vs a 12 hr round trip.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah 6 hours is a bit far for this. If there's no group buys around the Charlotte area, then I'll just order online because my LHBS is a bit high in pricing for my tastes. Plus for 2-row they only carry Briess :(

Is this still active? I moved from Maryland, where I was part of the DC group buys. I would certainly be interested in a local group buy.

FYI, Carolina Malt House in Statesville area will sell 50# sacks to home brewers. They just started up a few months ago and only have ‘base’ malt, Pilsner malt and distillers malt. Prices are something like $.45/lb for Pilsner and $.55/lb for base if I remember correctly. I picked up a sack of Pilsner last month but haven’t had a chance to use it.

I think they said the Pilsner I picked up is 6-row but can’t remember. All their grain comes from NC and within 30 miles of their malt house.

Hopefully I’ll get to brew with the Pilsner in the next couple weeks.

Epiphany malt house in Durham will also sell to home brewers, although they prefer you purchase through a lhbs. But they did say they wouldn’t turn anybody down if they showed up to buy. I think their prices were around $45/sack.

Both carolina malt house and epiphany were very responsive when I called them.

Back