adding orange zest using vodka

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadarnell

Reaction score
hello all ... I brewed a wheat beer last night and I want to get some orange flavor into it at bottling time ... Ive heard about soaking the zest in vodka and then adding the vodka at bottling if Im reading it right? ... has anyone done this ??? ... would someone have a better suggestiong to get the flavor in at bottling??? I have 5.2 gallons of wort just now starting to ferment, so I'll need to get the zest soaking soon .. any help with this out there? .. thanks :)

Add the zest in the secondary not in the bottle and it should go well. If your not using a secondary just wait 10ish days (or until airlock chills out a little) then add it.

Add the zest in the secondary not in the bottle and it should go well. If your not using a secondary just wait 10ish days (or until airlock chills out a little) then add it.

so does that work better for you than adding some sort of orange flaovor at bottling? how much would you add to 5 gallons in the secondary? .. have you tried it both ways? .. sorry for all the questions .. i really just want some orange flavor, but i still want it to taste like beer with a little orange and not the other way around ... thanks :mug:

I zested 5-6 lemons and soaked them in 2-3 oz vodka for a solid week in a zip-loc in the fridge...I put the zest into a a nylon bag along with the remaining vodka (ABV Booster :D)into the primary...

BTW I did put a little of the lemon juice in the primary as well...Just a couple of ounces at the most ....

this was for a 2 gallon batch and WOW it was lemon-beer... you would have thought I had just squeezed a half a lemon into the beer.

I think I would do 2-3 oranges at the most for your 5 G batch....funny we were drinking the Lemon-weizen last night and we all agreed the orange would be way better (Hopefully)

if you have a couple small secondaries maybe you could fool around with the quanity of zest you use

Interested in how this turns out for you

Back