How bad is temperature fluctuations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codeblue2k

Reaction score
So I am interested in making a lager, but I dont think I can get the temps i need down far enough unless I put it out in the garage. The garage is detached and is mostly used for storage so it dosent get opened very much. But the temps stay cool in the day but i think they can drop into the 50's at night. Is it bad for the temp to be going up and down like that everyday? One of these days ill get a spare fridge, but for now ill make due with what I got. Thanks!

A gradual controlled increase is acceptable, if not optimal. I think Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff's new yeast book talks about starting a lager at something like 48 degrees and then towards the end of fermentation take the temperature up around 64 degree (I may be off a few points). The increase in temperature keeps the yeast active longer and maximizes their consumption of unwanted microbes. But this is intentional and controlled, and not a coincidence of ambient temperatures. The up and down fluctuation is to be avoided.

It's okay if you can keep it low at first then let it free rise into the 60's. You just don't want to go up and down and up and down and up and down. It stresses the yeast out and you could easily end up with an under-attenuated beer.

You can always just cover the whole fermenter in a cardboard box. It takes a while for 5 gallons to change temps.

A gradual controlled increase is acceptable, if not optimal. I think Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff's new yeast book talks about starting a lager at something like 48 degrees and then towards the end of fermentation take the temperature up around 64 degree (I may be off a few points). The increase in temperature keeps the yeast active longer and maximizes their consumption of unwanted microbes. But this is intentional and controlled, and not a coincidence of ambient temperatures. The up and down fluctuation is to be avoided.

It's not microbes, the higher temp toward the end of primary helps clean up diacetyl. Google "diacetyl rest" for more info.

You could put the fermenter in a water bath to stabilize the temperature. The water would insulate it and the temperature fluctuations would be lessened that way. You could also adjust the temp with ice or hot water bottles or an aquarium heater that way.

Depends what the "cool temps during the day" are. If you're hitting 60 daytime and 50 night time...that's too big a swing for my comfort. But I am a very strict individual when it comes to my beer.

Depends what the "cool temps during the day" are. If you're hitting 60 daytime and 50 night time...that's too big a swing for my comfort. But I am a very strict individual when it comes to my beer.

Yeah that sounds about right. I live in San Diego, so during the day it gets into the upper 60's and then drops into the lower 50's at night.

The water bath is an interesting idea, but again without a fridge I cant get the temps into the 60s.

Yeah that sounds about right. I live in San Diego, so during the day it gets into the upper 60's and then drops into the lower 50's at night.

The water bath is an interesting idea, but again without a fridge I cant get the temps into the 60s.

Freeze 2 liter soda bottles filled with water, throw them in the water bath and check twice a day. Add more bottles to cool down more. Pull some out if you it gets too cool.

Back