Got a question about light colored beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somerville

Reaction score
Can you steep grains and still have a gold/light colored beer?
I can only achieve temperatures around 70-75 degrees and I would like to make a brew that is light in color and lighter tasting. I'm doing this so I can appeal to people who come to my house who are a bit on the 'inexperienced' side of beer. ;)

The best way to get a lighter colored beer is to use all grain or at least full volume boils. The darker colors are generally caused by some slight caramelization of the wort or scorching of the extract.

It can be done, though. I brewed this awhile back and it turned out well. I'd up the bittering hops from .5 oz. to 1.0 oz. It was a light golden color, much like the commercial beers your friends will be used to seeing. I plan to do this again as an all-grain next spring.

normal_100_0975.JPG
partial mash brews - left to right: porter/amber/ipa/cream ale

with extracts and partials - the easiest way to get clearer beer is to use a full boil and secondary

sure it's not budweiser beer clear - but then you're prob not gonna achieve that level unless you filter extensivly

brewhead said:
normal_100_0975.JPG
partial mash brews - left to right: porter/amber/ipa/cream ale

with extracts and partials - the easiest way to get clearer beer is to use a full boil and secondary

sure it's not budweiser beer clear - but then you're prob not gonna achieve that level unless you filter extensivly

Best looking Corona's I've seen in a while!

Rhoobarb said:
It can be done, though. I brewed this awhile back and it turned out well. I'd up the bittering hops from .5 oz. to 1.0 oz. It was a light golden color, much like the commercial beers your friends will be used to seeing. I plan to do this again as an all-grain next spring.

I read the whole thread for that posting and the beer sounds like what Im looking for...just a few questions though...

what is torrified barley?

and...what if I cant get my temp. down to 68-70 for the secondary? will it be fine at...lets say 72-74?

Im slightly new so I dont mash anything. I just use DME and put some grains in a mesh bag and steep for a bit...
Thanks guys :)

and...what if I cant get my temp. down to 68-70 for the secondary? will it be fine at...lets say 72-74?
in a word...yes for most ale yeast ime. now mind you it's not optimal temps but will produce good beer with little off flavors.

you can also try this:

normal_100_0920.JPG

low tech but it will keep your brew kewl. water is slow to absorb energy and slow to release it - with the addition of a jug or two of ice you can maintain temps int he 65 to 70 range

Yessir ! Emar some purty beers ! Fact , that IPA looks good enough to drink. Hell, they all do ! Believe it or don't. The condensation on the bottles .... The sunlight coming through..... Behold, the beauty of beer.

Latest posts

Back