Wow...Now that's a light beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewagentjay

Reaction score
I put a thread a while back asking how to brew a light beer similar to Coors light for my brother-in-law and most if not every single BMC hater let me have it....

Well I took my coors light drinking brother-in-law to my LHBS and we picked out a kit well sort of made it on recommendations from shop...It's called Southern Light Pilsner....Wow....:rockin:I drank coors light, well i drank alot of beers that where cheap will in the Corps...This was the best damn light beer I have ever had....:rockin:and I'm only drinking the sample for an SG reading. I can't wait to get it carbed. I hope to bottle this weekend.

I do have some questions:

It is currently only 10 days in primary & @ 1.011, so if I don't get a chance to bottle this weekend (assuming the SG hold strong at same reading from now till then) will it be okay to let her sit in primary another week or so?

It's so clear I don't plan on using secondary. It will be my first non-secondary beer if that holds. How low should it go?
(Brewed Feb 28th with OG of 1.048)

Photo of sample:

IMG00168.jpg

Leaving in the primary until you get a chance to bottle is fine. I don't know what you mean about how low can it go. The SG will drop until it's done. It's probably done now. Maybe not. It might drop a bit more. But if it's the same in 3 days, then it's done.

Leaving in the primary until you get a chance to bottle is fine. I don't know what you mean about how low can it go. The SG will drop until it's done. It's probably done now. Maybe not. It might drop a bit more. But if it's the same in 3 days, then it's done.

Sorry I meant, wine and stuff goes below 1 but never really heard of beer doing that. 1.011 is as low as I have had yet and it has been a quick fermentation.

I'll be the first to say it.... Oh My God Coors Light sucks! Just kidding!
You should be fine to leave it. I would imagine it's done attenuating. What yeast did you use? Glad it tastes good. :)

Sorry I meant, wine and stuff goes below 1 but never really heard of beer doing that. 1.011 is as low as I have had yet and it has been a quick fermentation.

I had a beer get to 1.007 once. But I mashed at a really low temperature, and used a highly attenuative yeast. If you use very fermentable ingredients (like corn sugar) and extract, you could probably get to 1.007-1.008. With most all-malt beers, you'd be in the 1.010-1.014 range.

I'll be the first to say it.... Oh My God Coors Light sucks! Just kidding!
You should be fine to leave it. I would imagine it's done attenuating. What yeast did you use? Glad it tastes good. :)

Nottingham dry...I did my first batch with WL Liquid Irish and it was okay but costy....I did my second with Nottings and I haven't turned back that stuff works great and fast.:rockin:

I think on my big beers I might switch it up a bit not sure but I found this brand of dry works for me with out a starter and right now I like it.

It probably went relatively low in gravity because there aren't as many long chain saccharides (starches) due to the fact that is a relatively light beer.

I had a beer get to 1.007 once. But I mashed at a really low temperature, and used a highly attenuative yeast. If you use very fermentable ingredients (like corn sugar) and extract, you could probably get to 1.007-1.008. With most all-malt beers, you'd be in the 1.010-1.014 range.

It's Hopped Extra Light DME & lots of Dried Rice Syrup. I'm assuming that is why so fast.

I'm still in awe of this beer which I was only making for my bro-in-law....is it wrong to take a SG sample again on same day just to drink another sample?

Drink it out of the fermenter with a straw if you want. I won't judge

Well I feel kind of bad about it as I'm not really a light beer drinker any more light as I go is a amber these days or IPA.

I always kid him about drinking water.... lol

Anyways...this (if it goes well in the bottling process) will be an awesome mowing the lawn beer.

Problem is that it (so far from what I can tell) drinks to easy and wil sneak up on you after you down 12 or so...

Oh well I might have to make this again but add just a hair more hops to it...

It's pushing 5% and I wouldn't be surprised if it hit 1.008. I had a lite go to 1.004. Made it with feral hops for my neighbor. His grandfather farmed hops pre-Prohibition and the drainage ditches are still full of them.

Nottingham dry...I did my first batch with WL Liquid Irish and it was okay but costy....I did my second with Nottings and I haven't turned back that stuff works great and fast.:rockin:

I think on my big beers I might switch it up a bit not sure but I found this brand of dry works for me with out a starter and right now I like it.

So...this is an ale you made not a pilsner, right? What temp did you ferment at? I would like to see the recipe too, if you wish to share.

I'll share once I get home. I have had a PM for this as well. I have it at home. It's a pilsner recipe I guess but fermented as an ALE with ALE yeast...

I put it out there but keep in my mind my opinion is based on SG samples only. I haven't carbed this beer yet.

Also Took SG readying and Enjoying the sample. We are just a hair under 1.11 so like 1.108 or so....

So if this continues hang out she'll get the bottle this weekend. If my bro-in-law comes down if not she'll hang out for another week on yeast.

Only issue is I need my primary back. I guess I got to buy another one. Also gonna need a new secondary at this rate: hmmmm

SWMBO isn't gonna like more beer stuff.....

Since that was my frist run at a light beer I might tweak it along so check for updates or if you change it in a way for the good let me know. Enjoy

Thanks Jay! That's simple enough to give a go this weekend! Did you top up to 5 gallons in the primary? Or is this ~4 gal batch?

I have been looking for a tasty 'lawn mowing' beer, my Dad insists on keeping MGD at the lakehouse for that purpose and it's killing my rep! ;)

This has been REALLY well received with my BMC friends. Remaking this for a Pig Roast Memorial Day weekend. Upping the hops schedule a little bit:
1 oz Cascade 15 mins
1 oz Goldings 5 mins
.35 oz Goldings 0 min

Triple Hops brewed right

well i might try it i got a neighbour who drinks coors light and it could be a very gud beer for bmc drinking guests. by the sounds of it it could be a great beer for converting people giving both the good qualities of bmc and homebrew.

it's a great light beer with some taste and ABV. Also quick and easy. I top it off to 5 gallons by the way........

I was going to brew this as my next batch but my LHBS didn't have any of the ingrediants :(
so I just kinda grabed a few things for my next brew. But this is on my list to brew, since it sounds like my wife will like it. ;)

Back