10 Gallon batch using a standard turkey fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewcarp

Reaction score
I am about to do my first 10 gallon batch but I use a standard turkey fryer (I think its a Masterbuilt brand) and a keggle. I feel like it takes a long time to bring 8 gallons to boil for a 5 gallon batch so I am really sckeptical on how long it will take to bring 13 gallons to boil. Anyone else use this or should I just get a Bayou burner (thinking the SQ14 model)?

A standard fryer might not work if it is too breezy or too cold. The BTUs are almost too low even for a 5 gallon batch. You could do too boils or find your self a Bayou to up the BTUs. It might work with a wind guard, but I don't know.

I use a POS 58k btu turkey fryer and I have no problem boiling 12 gallons. I am planning on brewing tomorrow and its in the 20s here

Depending on which model of masterbuilt, you might be able to just upgrade the regulator. My old Masterbuilt has a 5 psi and you could easily sub it with a higher psi model.

I use my P.O.S. stand for my keggle,55K BTU and once the boil starts I have to turn it alomst all the way down. I light that bad boy as soon as I open the valve on my MLT,so its right about to boil as I sparge.

I light that bad boy as soon as I open the valve on my MLT,so its right about to boil as I sparge.

I do the same thing. It works great. I almost have trouble from keeping my turkey fryer from boiling the wort before I get it all in there.

Back