Kaiser's Maerzen-Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Guys,

I’ll be hosting my 3rd annual Maerzenbrew the last Saturday in March (3/28). This is a brew-out at my place but you don’t have to brew to come. Most people just come to hang out and talk beer.

PM me your e-mail address and I put you on the e-vite if you are interested.

Kai

I'm in, Kai, all cleared with the wife. Probably be doing something real simple, I haven't brewed in forever and just need to get some good ol' session beers back on draft.

I'm in, Kai, all cleared with the wife. Probably be doing something real simple, I haven't brewed in forever and just need to get some good ol' session beers back on draft.

Sounds like a plan. Let me know if you need anything.

Kai

Will do. I'll have to check and make sure the grain isn't full of mice turds. Maybe I'll make a big-ass Belgian instead, I've got some candi syrup, a butt-ton of Pilsner malt, and some WLP 550 that Glib gave me about twenty months ago.

I'm neck deep in Winter, and loving it, I'll see what I can do to make it. What time are you going to start heating your strike water?

I'll be starting around 8.00a to make sure I'm done brewing mid afternoon. You can show up anytime after 9.00a.

Kai

How open are you guys for moving this event to 3/21 or 4/4 (not quite in March by my 8 year aniversary of being here in the US)? Some brewers have scheduling conflicts and I rather have good attendance than sticking to the last Saturday in March.

Kai

I *think* either of those would be OK for me. This weekend is completely shot, but I don't think we have anything on the calendar for either of those dates.

Given that it works better for Vermicous, Paul and Babalu (who is on this board but hasn't posted in this thread) I'm strongly leaning towards moving the event to April 4th.

bird, did you get a chance to check the other dates?

Kai

I officially changes the e-vite to the new date April, 4th. If you haven't done so yet, send me your e-mail if you plan to attend.

Kai

Thanks, Kai -

I will try to make it ... no brewing, just learning!

Please PM with info, and what you would like me to bring ...

Actually, I have a prior commitment that I forgot about. I made (and paid for) a reservation months ago on Cap'n Jim Sullivans boat for his season opener scallop dive, so I'm officially a no-go. (Unless the weather really sucks and he scrubs the dive. In that case I'll divert to NH.)

PTN

Damn..gonna miss this one...wife just reminded me that we have tickets to Dennis Leary at Mohegan Sun tomorrow (opps..make that today)...have a few for me.

-Will

Whats everyone using for a recipe?

50/50 Pils/Vienna here (after e-mailing Kaiser) but I cant help but think a 45/45 with 10% Dark Munich would make a nice beer too.

Thinking of FWH instead of a 20 or 15 minute addition.

I have no idea what I'm brewing. I haven't been able to brew in so long, I'm just hoping my grain isn't full of mice **** (although I guess, according to those German texts that Kai was translating, that would be perfectly in style).

One beer style I've had a ***** of a time getting right is just a simple English bitter. I've always had the yeast be way too fruity-estery, so I might go with a simple Bitter (either ordinary or Special) and 86' the Windsor and kick it with some Notty or even (gasp!) some US-05 for a cleaner flavor profile. Got some Marris Otter, a wee bit of medium crystal, and some Fuggles kicking in the fridge.

Simple beer for a simple man.

Bird -

Are you still going ?

What is your timeline ? I would like to go, but not at crack of dawn...

You can PM

I'm PROBABLY going, although I've been sick as a dog all day and am way behind on work. I need to get myself organized, see how much I can get done at work tomorrow before deciding for certain, so I'm probably 50/50. I *really* want to go, I haven't brewed in so freakin' long. But, don't count on me for a rideshare, unfortunately.

What time you want people to show up, Kai?

Who else is in?

I am going to try and be there around 9:00. However, that means I have to be out the door at 8:00 which is something I don't do well.

I won't be bringing any homebrew. Everything is kicked or is barely drinkable. I will be bringing whatever hard to find beers I can get. Some Allagash or some of the Smutty big beers. I also have a Portsmouth brewery big beer I will be bringing, they only made 70 cases this year and I was lucky to get one.

I'm not going to make it. If you can imagine this, I'll be riding my snowboard and hanging out with family from out of town this weekend. Might even fit in a brew session.

We're heading North around 7:30AM

Going to bring an assortment of goodies, wife is making an Apple cake now.
Fresh eggs from the chicken coop for our host too.
I have a Dortmunder that I need and opinion on as well as a Pils, who better to have sample them :D

Sounds great.

I'll try to dough in around 8:00a

I'll also be checking this thread and my e-mail, so PM me if you need anything.

Kai

I had snow for chilling the beer in my yard last Saturday. But now I don’t and I acyally brought 2 big tubs to work to get snow from one of the old snow piles here at work. I think we should make that a tradition: the Maerzen wort needs to be chilled with the last snow of the season.

Kai

Hey Kai, we still need to pack in water? I know you use RO but that's inherently limited in terms of quantity available; how's the regular tap water out there?

I'll go out on a limb and assume you have a good grain mill we can borrow?

I'm probably 25/75 in terms of getting out there. I've missed a day and half of work this week, not good going into the height of tax season.

The tap water is fairly hard, but I can start collecting some RO water tonight in case you want to blend the tap water. This approach should work fine. I also have a mill you can borrow.

I hear you about the work you have to do. I still hope you can make it.

Kai

Back