Diacetyl rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germanbrewgal

Reaction score
The directions say to let the temp rise to room temps for 24 hrs please excuse me if I'm reading to much into this but does this mean that the temp of the beer should be at room temp for 24 hrs or does the carboy just need to be at room tem for 24 hrs? Thanks

I usually raise the temp over 24-36 hours to the low to mid 60°F's and leave it there a few days then take it back down to lagering temps

You want the beer to be at room temp for at least 24 hours. I usually give the fermenter 24 hours to allow the beer to naturally rise to room temp, followed by another 48 hours at room temp for the actual D-rest, so about 3 days total to complete it.

I let beer temp sit at d rest temps (upper 60s) for a few days before cold crashing or packaging. For beers that I dry hop, I do both at the same time (d rest and dry hop simotaneously)

Back