Pittsburgh/Western PA Group By #9+

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the group buy dead? If so Im going to have to buck up and pay Country Wines prices for a sack of 2row.

If anyone needs help with org or logistics, Im willing to help out.

We may have a workable solution at my place but no promises. Coyote68 and I were at Kyle's on Sunday buying some grain and it came up. Kyle can keep the account but others need to do the legwork and have a place. I have an idea. I need to talk to him some more first then we can discuss details here. If anyone has any ideas post them please.

If it's my off days I can help with splits or anything else if needed. Also I need access to the ordering site again.

that works for base grains. but specialty malts are rather hard to use up in full sack amounts.

I just don't see the benefit of doing splits when the guys doing them are busting their ass while others just come and pick it up. I think it's fair that if anyone wants a split, it's up to them to get the grain and do the logistics of the payment and splitting. Kyle is one hell of a nice guy, but it wasn't fair to him or the guys who helped.

And with More beer in the area, I don't mind buying retail from them when I need a pound or five of something. I can't wait till they do a will call. If ordering a full sack of say c60 and letting others do the work of splitting and keeping track of the splits and being stuck with leftovers makes it worth the 30-50 cents per pound difference then you should take up another hobby like picking up cans to get the money to pay for the difference in price.

Kyle probably had several hundred tied up in unclaimed grain and splits. If moving forward this should not happen.

If there is another group buy, please count me in. I'd love to pick up some sacks of base malts, and hope to be able to help out as well.

For the record, the only time I ended up with unclaimed splits was when I ordered them on my own. For the last one I ordered a bunch of the specialty grains that we could never close. They're packed in vacuum bags now, so probably have a shelf life of 10 years ;).

If folks wanted too coordinate splits among themselves it would probably be way faster on the logistics/payment end, but it would be harder to get splits filled.

For the record, the only time I ended up with unclaimed splits was when I ordered them on my own. For the last one I ordered a bunch of the specialty grains that we could never close. They're packed in vacuum bags now, so probably have a shelf life of 10 years ;).

If folks wanted too coordinate splits among themselves it would probably be way faster on the logistics/payment end, but it would be harder to get splits filled.

Good to know. Do you have a list of non base malts you want to get rid of?

I'm at the NHC in San Diego, but I can send out the list next week when I'm back home. I still have most of the British crystals, gold pils, and a few of the other ones I posted from a few pages back.

Sorry for the delay - work's been crazy. I have an inventory of the remaining base and specialty grains. PM me and i'll pass over the spreadsheet and price list. I've also got some 2014 hops remaining, including 3 lbs of citra leaf. everything is hop union packaging and has been in the freezer since last winter.

Lastly - i've got way more ghost peppers then i can use. If someone wants to do some trading, especially for fresh-frozen berries or some local honey, let me know. They aren't organic (fertalizer) but they're pesticide free.

How much honey do you need? You can get 1# jars of local stuff at McGinnis sisters. Sometimes they have some limited release stuff like blueberry blossom too.

There is a farmer near me, about two miles away, and he sells honey that he collects from his own hives. It's a good price too. He doesn't feed the bees corn syrup in the fall either, so you know that it pure honey. He strains it himself. I've bought it from him in the past, both in a jar and still sealed in the comb. I bought about 8 lbs of beeswax from him about three years ago. Haven't used the wax yet. Let me know if you want me to pick some up for you. I don't really need any ghost peppers though.

Krampus, BNMIR, and Joyceman - you should have the list of surplus grain. Most of it is specialty.

If anyone has a connection with TRUB / TRASH, would you mind asking them about specialty grains? Seems like a good audience to pick stuff up.

How much honey do you need? You can get 1# jars of local stuff at McGinnis sisters. Sometimes they have some limited release stuff like blueberry blossom too.

I was thinking 10-20# so something local/commercial. Last time I bought a 5 gallon from dutch gold in Lancaster and my sister-in-law dropped it off. However that is WAY too much honey for an aspiring meadmaker.

There is a farmer near me, about two miles away, and he sells honey that he collects from his own hives. It's a good price too. He doesn't feed the bees corn syrup in the fall either, so you know that it pure honey. He strains it himself. I've bought it from him in the past, both in a jar and still sealed in the comb. I bought about 8 lbs of beeswax from him about three years ago. Haven't used the wax yet. Let me know if you want me to pick some up for you. I don't really need any ghost peppers though.

I do have some Pearl malt on hold for you if you still want it.

I know TRUB is doing a grain buy, I made the suggestion to talk to you and use your pricing. They have a place to deliver too. I can pass the word on the grains. Can you send me the list?

TANGLED UP IN BREW No.5

I post this event on here every year in the hope to get some support and interest in this event . I know some of you attended last year and by all reports had a great time. I wanted to get the word out sooner, but unfortunately I got pretty busy painting the exterior of my house. Still not finished!

They are still looking for brewers to enter the competition and pour home brew to the paying attendees.. If not interested in pouring and competing, its a great event to attend and try some home brew by the Youghiogheny. There is a facebook page for the event, but its not very good. So if you need information or entry forms or tickets, I can help you out, just PM me. I am not an organizer of the event, but have participated as a brewer every year. I will have post more information in the days to come.

11750628_785846288194659_2406410352292439633_n.jpg

Anyone know a good place to buy bulk rye berries around town? I was buying them at Whole Foods Wexford for $1/lb, but they just stopped carrying them.

Ive tried a couple of the farms that advertise on craigslist, but they dont want to deal with you for under 10 bushels. I can store 1 bushel at most.

Any plans for another buy? I just made a 'kitchen sink' brew with the remnants of my grain stash and am looking at buying more. I'd be more than happy with no-splits or DIY splits.

On another front, where's the best LHBS east of the city? I see that South Hills Monroeville has shut down.

Not sure what future plans are. I know TRUB did one over the summer and might be starting one up again. Country Wines is now going bulk discounts from their north location.

If you're in a pinch let me know. I can part with the base grains I have left as long as you're willing to take some specialty as well (don't want to try an all crystal recipe). I should have some domestic 2 row, 6 row, and some British base malt left.

TRUB will be doing one soon though Helltown Brewing. I just have to get the prices together. Looking early in January. I'm just too busy brewing right now.

Thanks

Yes please keep us posted on the TRUB buy if you can? Im not a member is there any other information we can get?

Not sure what future plans are. I know TRUB did one over the summer and might be starting one up again. Country Wines is now going bulk discounts from their north location.

If you're in a pinch let me know. I can part with the base grains I have left as long as you're willing to take some specialty as well (don't want to try an all crystal recipe). I should have some domestic 2 row, 6 row, and some British base malt left.

I wouldn't want to dig into your stash, but what specialty grains are you looking to get rid of? If it's something interesting, maybe we could work out a package with a sack of 2 row?

Don't worry about it at all if you'd rather hang on to what you have. It's really not that big of a deal if I have to pay lhbs prices for a batch or two until a group option is available.

The TRUB grain buy is happening now and orders need to be in by January 24th. Details on the TRUB site. I do believe you need to be a member to participate in the grain buys though. At least in the past that's how they did it. For $20 a year it would still be cheaper to become a member just to buy grain in bulk than buying grain per recipe.

I didn't know about the buy. I'm looking for 1 sack each of 2row, pils and Vienna. Price, pick up location and date/time? Feel free to PM me.

Back