Couple of Porter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 30639

Reaction score
I won't be brewing this for a while, but I've been toying around with recipe ideas. I want to brew a coffee porter for my anniversary. We did our honeymoon in Jamaica, so I was planning on using Blue Mountain beans.

1: Do porters take longer to age, or can you follow the standard 1-2-3 method of fermenting and aging?

2: What would be the best way to add coffee? Grind the beans and toss them in the secondary? If so, how much coffee for 5 gallons?

Porters are just like any other beer really, 123 rule will be just fine. Im not sure about how much coffee to add because of how strong it is. Maybe take 2-3 Oz and grind it into powder and sprinkle into the mash. That is what Jamil did with the Carafa Special for his Schwarzbier.

While others will probably snark at me violently for suggesting it, my method of adding such flavorings is to add it bit by bit at bottling time, tasting after each addition. In this case, brew a strong pot of the above-referenced coffee, chill it, and add by increments until the desired flavor is reached.

I recommend brewers adding fruit extract to their beers add in this fashion, and I once - once, mind - brewed a coffee stout in this manner, which turned out fine.

YMMV!

Bob

Blue Mountain in a porter? This just basically wrong.

I agree with Bob, though, the best method for adding coffee is to brew it and add at bottling. And if you do use the Blue Mountain, please drink the leftovers before it gets cold.

Be liberal with the chocolate malt and the coffee flavor will be there. I'm no expert, but I just brewed a porter from Brewing Classic Styles and there is plenty of coffee aroma even though I used no coffee when brewing.

BTW it was the "Who's your Taddy" porter.

Rather than brewing it as normal, cold steep it overnight. The normal hot-brewing method will produce some bitter flavors you don't want in your beer.

Blue Mountain in a porter? This just basically wrong.

I agree with Bob, though, the best method for adding coffee is to brew it and add at bottling. And if you do use the Blue Mountain, please drink the leftovers before it gets cold.

Well...it we didn't do the honeymoon in Jamaica, I'd just throw in some Folgers and call it good. Heck, I just checked the prices of Blue Mountain coffee. I'll just use Folgers and tell her its Blue Mountain ;)

I've never heard of cold steeping coffee before. I'll have to read up on this.

Back