what is lager time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simster571

Reaction score
i recently recieved one of those "mr. beer" home brew kits, im a little skeptical, but I wanted to try it anyways so I ordered the "Holiday Party Ale no.2" kit off of mr. beers web site.

On the website, it says to ferment i minimum of 7 days - if i ferment longer will it taste better or is it a waste of time?

It also states that the suggested lager time is 1 month. What does that mean? Does that mean it suggests that I leave it to ferment for a month or I bottle it and let it sit for a month? Or if its not one of those then what does it mean?

thanks for the help everyone.

bottle it and let it sit for a month

Lagering is the cold conditioning of beers brewed with lager yeasts.

[Search for the "who started with mr. beer" poll & join in.]

I would go 7-10 days in the fermenter. Based on what I know of MrBeer I'm going to guess they mean to condition the bottles for a month before you start drinking.

If you properly lagered before bottling I'm not sure you'd have enough yeast left to carbonate properly. But I don't make lagers so I hope someone else will chime in.

To be safe you could do 2 weeks in the fermenter, then bottle and condition in the bottle for a month before drinking. That is pretty close to what most homebrewers do.

Back