Blizzard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too f-ing funny. Spent 5 hours outside with the neighbors - got my driveway taken care of plus two others. Had a couple Brown Suggas afterwards. Kids outside all day sledding and playing. Chicken soup going on the kitchen stove. My ass is firmly planted on the couch at this point. Still some work to do on the back deck and the driveway (wind's been piling up drifts again), but that can wait until tomorrow. Definitely not miserable...in fact, quite satisfied with this blizzard experience. :mug:

Sounds like a nice day, that's the way to handle a blizzard! :mug:
Regards, GF.

Sounds like you win! You can keep on winning, I'll cheer for ya! We got a couple of feet with a lot of drifting. It was all dry snow here. No big deal really, more like normal expectations of winter.

Loaders are about useless for winter highway maintenance except for doing what they were made for, loading trucks. We use them for clearing intersection corners and clearing driveways when we high wing banks. My town, small town, uses 2 single axle dump trucks with fixed directional front highway plows and wing plows and spreaders for sand and salt. One of those is 4 WD for mtns. We have another 10 wheeler equipped the same and one 10 wheeler with just a spreader body for sand/salt. We have 2 1 ton trucks with multidirectional highway plows, one has a spreader body, and we use a 1 ton pick up with a multidirectional plow which has a utility body for tools as needed. We have 1 Cat loader and I drive a Cat 140 M Road Grader with fixed directional highway plow and wing plow winter package. This is new, I used to run a Gallion 850 Road Grader thus equipped plus 6 wheel tire chains if needed. There has never been a storm or series of storms that has stopped us and we don't get that Rocky Mountain fluff here. One storm was over 4.5' of wind driven sleet of a real Nor' Easter which packs like the dickens as any snow belt East Coast resident can attest to.

Yeah man, we have lots of wet heavy snow, and if you don't get it as the change over to rain happens you're toast. Much respect to plow operators.

Yea..

Posted another thread before i saw this one. Whoops.

Spent 11 hours on 2 driveways, with 4 people today, between the two days.

Cant complain tho, have friends who cant get out because their roads still havent been plowed.

Manchester CT got 30 inches in some areas, including our back yard.

Two photos to put it into perspective.
First is something a friend saw while driving in town.. pretty great.

Second is our moment of glory once the final car was free of the driveway (so we could keep going).

aintnobody gottimeforthis.jpg

snowww.jpg

Blizzard sucks. Being stuck inside to brew my second batch and setup my new kegerator doesn't suck. Now I'll try not to drink the Surge Protector I have left.

All my brew equipment is barricaded in the garage... didnt think about that when i was piling snow 10 feet high in front of the door. I was gonna do an in house batch, but walking dead is on tonight...so i don't think there is enough time!!!

Seeing the comments about broken shear bolts on snowblowers just makes me shake my head. That's part of my fall preparation routine: Change oil check tires, add fresh gas, grease, -- and make sure I have a supply of shear bolts. I have a lab who thinks it's great fun to carry rawhides or nylabones (or ROCKS, if he gets bored) out into the driveway/sidewalk and drop them in the snow, so I usually end up busting a shear bolt 2-3 times a year. I keep a dozen on hand at all times.

For whatever reason there seemed to be a lot more snow on my balcony than on the street.

Someone told me we are supposed to get more snow this weekend. I think we'll be fine.

Over the weekend we shovelled the car out of its parking space. I'm really proud of my neighborhood for loaning each other shovels and generally helping each other out. My neighbor and I have built up such a rapport that he offered us his parking space for the week, since he wont be using it. Really makes me smile. I wonder if he brews...

Personally, I have a mental block about shovelling when I pay to live there, when I own I will shovel. I say this every year until a neighbor or someone on the street needs help getting their car out, and my hardcore attitude softens.

Back