Danstar Munich--WB06 questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergolf

Reaction score
I have been using US-05 for my ales and am happy with that yeast. Takes off quick, gets down to FG, easy to use.

I am considering a wheat beer for my next brew and have a couple of questions. I did a search about the two yeasts mentioned about but most of the threads were a couple of years ago. So I would like some more up to date opinions.

I like the ease of dry but taste is also important.

Anyone uses these yeasts recently and what are your thoughts. Pros and cons.

Another reason I am asking is that the dry yeast recommended temps fall more in the range of my basement at this time. I seem to hold a steady 64* for my last couple of brews which seems too low for the WL strains and on the low end for the Wyeast strains.

Thanks in advance.

This placce is a wealth of information.

If you're looking to make a Bavarian Hef you'll really have to use liquid yeast. I've used it down to 62 degrees with out a problem. It actually turned out too clean. The Munich and WB-06 are more of an American style wheat yeast.

Thanks

It seems that's what all of the stuff I read says.

I was worried about going too low with the liquid yeast since my basement is fairly cold right now.

If you're looking to make a Bavarian Hef you'll really have to use liquid yeast. I've used it down to 62 degrees with out a problem. It actually turned out too clean. The Munich and WB-06 are more of an American style wheat yeast.

I realise this is old, but can't leave it here...i completely disagree. WB-06 in particular makes a very true European hefeweizen style beer, like Schofferhoffer et al. Brilliantly easy to use, cheap, and ferments in under a week, with no secondary necessary, especially in kit/extract brews. Don't be afraid to ferment it at around 69-70 for even more in your face hefe flavour/aroma.

Back