Need suggestions for a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levers101

Reaction score
I'm back at homebrewing after a break over the last half of the fall semester due to a lot of work to do. However, I have come into possession of 18 lbs of light DME due to a colleague and her husband moving and giving up brewing for a short time.

So I have something like 20 lbs of DME waiting to be made into beer, and have a hodgepodge of grains and hops from him and my own stash, with no real set style to brew.

I have:

Probably 6-9 oz each of: Caravienne, Caramunich, Crystal 50*L, Coffee malt, and black roasted barley.

For hops I have: 1 oz 6.9% AA Cluster pellets, 2 oz whole Kent Goldings, and some wild hops that I've been meaning to use.

I can probably get basic hops at my sorta LHBS, but nothing too out of the ordinary, but nothing really in the way of specialty grains.

Anyone have any suggestions on a recipe I could use with these ingredients, I'm contemplating a mutt beer, but the 6.9% AA hops and Kent Goldings won't get me far in bitterness.

You could probably make a pretty nice red ale with that set of grains. Maybe go a little heavy on the DME and make it a double red ale. They make one at Dominion Brewing and it was damn good. Although you might need to pick up a few more hops like you said...

you are going to need to get to the lhbs to get yeast anyway ... put something together that you will like and make it ...

I'm going with the following recipe, can anyone give me suggestions as to whether my planned hop schedule is okay:

MALTS
4.5 oz British Crystal 50-60 L
6 oz Caramunich
6 oz Caravienne
6 lbs Light DME

HOPS (all pellets)
1.1 oz Cluster 6.9% AA @ 60 min*
0.3 oz Magnum 12.3% AA @ 60 min
1 oz Cascade 6.4% AA @ 20 min
0.8 oz East Kent Goldings @ flameout
* = 1 oz hop bags seem to contain about 1.2 oz when I get them.

Safale US-56 yeast

Is this too much in the way of hops for say an amber/red ale?

Any suggestions, critiques, or insults?

Back