Does this look infected to you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silvfire22

Reaction score
First 24 hours of primary fermentation. Thought everything was squeaky clean but now I'm doubting myself. First attempt at brewing by myself and thinking maybe when I sprinkled my yeast in it contacted the carboy neck??

image-934985715.jpg

The white spots in the neck are just yeast. I've had that happen before as well, especially using dry (rehydrated) yeast, or just pitching dry.

First 24 hours of primary fermentation. Thought everything was squeaky clean but now I'm doubting myself. First attempt at brewing by myself and thinking maybe when I sprinkled my yeast in it contacted the carboy neck??

you got it, the yeast swelled up with moisture and turned into and infection.

C'mon man. Everything was "sqeaky clean" so if that also means you sanitized then a little yeast hitting the side of the carboy is not going to hurt a thing. Fermentation can get pretty ugly looking with all sort of strange icky stuff showing up. Stay true to sanitization methods and not much is going to go wrong.

As has already been said above, your beer is golden! Cheers!

Back