batch sparge or fly sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwaterbrewer

Reaction score
i am trying to figure out if i should use my lauter tun attatched to my sparge arm in the mash tun to sparge. my understanding is that i adjust the flows so that i am keeping about 1 inch of water above the grain bed througout the sparge. when all the water in the lauter tun is gone then i drain the mash tun and boil.

now i am reading about Batch sparging where you completely drain the mash tun, then add more hot water to the mash tun, wait, then drain it again. is this correct?

which one should i do for the first time and can someone give me a link to a step by step on the best sparge technique. also, can someone point me in the right direction as far as ph and iodine testing goes? dammit this all grain better be worth it!!!!:eek:

I'd go with batch sparging. It takes less time and is more fool proof for the new brewer. Many seasoned AG brewers still batch sparge.

Visit BobbyM's site Home Page and read his AG primer. It details his double batch sparge method which is simple and effective. As for Ph testing, I can't help. Honestly, I've never tested for PH or conversion, and have always made beer.

I can tell you a lot of folks here can give advice on either technique, but I personally batch sparge due to the need of less equipment and great tutorial type threads like bobby's

Hey Denny, surprising to see you posting in this thread.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Back