What to do with old bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipgate

Reaction score
Since I started kegging, I don't have any use for bottles anymore. I checked the other day and have around 5 or 6 cases of 24 bottles (originally bought new at the beer store) and I also have 24 store bought flippers. Is there any market for these or should I just throw them in the recycling?

Since I started kegging, I don't have any use for bottles anymore. I checked the other day and have around 5 or 6 cases of 24 bottles (originally bought new at the beer store) and I also have 24 store bought flippers. Is there any market for these or should I just throw them in the recycling?

I'd try Craigslist first, just to save a new brewer the expense of buying all those bottles. I'd keep the fliptops, because they are fun to fill and take to parties.

I'm in the same boat- I have about 125 Grolsch bottles and many regular beer bottles. I'll be getting rid of many of them.

You might want to save some for bottling your keg conditioned beer to give to friends, competitions.

Would it be ok with HBT regs to post them for free + pickup in the Classified section? Given the 29,000+ members here, there has to be a lurker in your area that would pick them up. How many posts do we see about "Where can I get bottles cheaply???"

If I was close I would pick them up.

Just be sure to clarify that pick up is required.

Yeah, I would save the flip tops and a case or two of the others if you have the room. I keg, but I keep 1-3 cases of empties for give aways.

There is also a thread going which people give stuff to other brewers. I'm too lazy too look it up.

I'd save the swingtops. You can build a cheap and easy bottle filling device and just fill up those bottles for giving to people, taking to places, or submitting to competitions. Too lazy to look up that thread either, but it's Biermunchers bottle gun.

BMBF or BMBF Alteration is what Homercidal was referring to.

I have a case of Grolsch swingtops and some growlers I keep around. I also have two or three cases of bottles I posted here on the classifieds, no response. Homebrew gathering at local brewery this week I was going to ask for takers, other wise recycling (unless I find something fun to do with them.. Hmmm....:)

I'll take any swingtops you may be willing to part with!

Case of Grolsch swing tops cost me about $36- That said, the other two distributors I asked in my area could "special order them" for me, but would cost like $48... This quote was from distributor who knows me well and has a big neon grolsch sign in the window!

I'll take any swingtops you may be willing to part with!

Case of Grolsch swing tops cost me about $36- That said, the other two distributors I asked in my area could "special order them" for me, but would cost like $48... This quote was from distributor who knows me well and has a big neon grolsch sign in the window!

I should have been more clear, and said, "give away" instead of "part with" - I thought this forum was a "what should I do with my bottles before I throw them away" thread.

Back