How active of a fermentation can I expect from a tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSRider

Reaction score
I only have one carboy left and its a 5 gallon. I lost about a half gallon of my belgian wit to the blowoff and dont want to lose a drop of the tripel since it costs so much to brew. Will it stay in the 5 gallon, or do I need to get another 6.5. Im trying to harvest some yeast from a bottle of chimay, but so far its not showing any activity. If it doesnt get going im going to use a wlp500 for trappist ales. Thanks.

Well, I'm kind of new, I've only got 8 batches under my belt, but two are trippels.
I used a 5 gallon carboy for one and a 6.5 for the other. I used a blowoff tube in both cases to good effect.

I didn't have a lot of problems in either case. No significant loss of beer through the blowout.

no worries about using a blowoff tube, but I dont want it to blow a half gallon out through it. I always have plenty of room in my 6.5 carboy, but its full of fat tire. I was just wondering how much krausen is going to form and if it will stay in the 5 gallon carboy.

Back