How to manually siphon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontreren

Gluten Free Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I read not to "mouth" it like I might siphoning gasoline because of contamination. I read to start it full of sanitizer and put it in the fermenter and let it draw that way. I'm a little reluctant to risk putting clorox in my brew. Other than the obvious putting the delivery bucket higher than the receiver bucket/bottle what is the best way to start a manual siphon from my fermenter bucket?

Why are you using bleach as a sanitizer? Use Star San or Iodophor- true no rinse sanitizers. Get an autosiphon- best $10 you'll spend on the hobby.

I just use faucet water. Drain it into a pan and when the beer starts coming out, put my thumb over the end of the tube and put it in the bucket.

Yep, filling the tube with water is the way to manually siphon and much easier if your water supply is right next to where you are racking in case you don't get the siphon going at first try (practice siphoning something other than your beer first to get a feel for it).

I agree with the auto-siphon, it's great. A 3rd option is something like those little snot bulbs for baby's that you can find for about $2 at any pharmacy. I used one for a while but much prefer the auto-siphon now that I have one. :tank:

20 years ago, I would just gargle with vodka, swallow, then give a good suck on the racking hose. Now I use an AutoSiphon. What a great way to rack beer.

Put some vodka in your mouth, swish it around, and of course drink it. Then siphon by sucking. Once you see the beer on its way down remove your mouth and put it in the bucket, no mess and beer coming out of your mouth and into the bucket.

I've since bought a siphon which I like, but it isn't a necessity.

Back