Vanilla, nutmeg, bourbon stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humulusrem

Reaction score
I want to make a vanilla stout with bourbon and nutmeg. I found a decent recipe I want to modify and was wondering..
1) would I just use while vanilla beans chopped and soak them during secondary fermentation??
2) would I add the nutmeg to the mash or same time as the vanilla?
3)for the bourbon should I soak the vanilla beans in bourbon or just add bourbon before bottling??

What works? What doesn't? Thanks ton!!

Prost!
Mike

Vanilla beans should be split lengthwise once, scraped, and either steeped in a hot liquid or added to the secondary. You don't "chop" them.

Nutmeg could be added around flameout or in the secondary. Personally, I would boil a spice "tea" with the vanilla, bourbon, nutmeg and then add that strained liquid spiced tea to taste... a little at flameout and a little in the secondary. Nutmeg can be quite potent in flavor so be careful.

It is my understanding that you split the vanilla beans lengthwise then "scrap" the inside. I just added two madagascar vanilla beans to my 5gal holiday dubble. I split, scrapped, soaked them in vodka for a couple of days to extract more oils from them, then I poured everything, vodka and beans, into the secondary. Its only been a week but the vanilla flavor is definitely there, but not overpowering.

As far as the nutmeg, I think that is more of a preference thing. I prefer 5 min, but you could do either or both.

Thank you guys for the responses!!

Time to get some afternoon turns in at ABasin!!

Prost!!

Back