Gritty's Halloween Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just found this at mainebrews.com
No clue if it works...no technique posted either.

I love it too and don't agree with the negatives on Beer Advocate.
===============

Gritty’s Halloween Ale Clone Recipe

Recipe: Halloween Ale
Style: 8C-English Pale Ale-Extra Special/Strong Bitter

Recipe Overview

Volume At Pitching: 6.08 US gals
Final Batch Volume: 5.02 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.058 SG
Expected OG: 1.063 SG
Expected FG: 1.018 SG
Expected ABV: 6.0 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 45.3
Expected Color: 19.2 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 70.0 %
Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins

Fermentables
UK Pale Ale Malt 9.94 lb (66.0 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Medium Crystal 3.19 lb (21.2 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Caramalt 1.77 lb (11.8 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Torrified Wheat 0.14 lb (0.9 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Chocolate Malt 0.01 lb (0.1 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
UK Golding (5.5 % alpha) 1.59 oz Loose Whole Hops used 60 Min From End
UK WGV (6.5 % alpha) 1.59 oz Loose Whole Hops used 30 Min From End
UK Golding (5.5 % alpha) 1.59 oz Loose Whole Hops used 1 Min From End

Yeast: Wyeast 1187-Ringwood Ale

Anybody end up making this all grain? I love this beer, but the crystal + caramalt seems pretty high on the total, but I'll do it if somebody says it turned out well.

I love this beer, but the crystal + caramalt seems pretty high on the total, but I'll do it if somebody says it turned out well.

Agreed. That does not look like a particularly good recipe, the crystal is way out of proportion and what the hell is .9% torrified wheat supposed to accomplish?

My .02 is cut the crystal quantities to 1/3 of the amounts in the recipe and replace those missing three pounds by adding two pounds to the pale malt and bumping up the torrified to one pound. I don't know if torrified wheat is part of the actual beer and if you choose not to use it simply replace with more pale malt.

Well, i went for it with a slightly modification. I brew 15 gallons at a time so if it's horrid, well, I've got some beer to give away! I put the crystal to 20% and the caramalt to 10%, I kept the scale of wheat and chocolate (so like.. a fraction of an oz.). The wort actually looks good, but who knows. I'll let you guys know in a month how it turned out.

We vacation in Maine for a week every September. About 20 years ago Gritty’s started brewing Halloween Ale early and we have enjoyed it ever since, it is our “house beer” of choice.

Here is a recipe we brewed this year. It was created using some ideas presented in this thread, a traditional ESB recipe and some original thinking.

Rather than labeling it as a “clone”, I offer it as an “inspired by” recipe.

I think I have all the important stuff listed. This was force carbonated and aged for a few weeks after the secondary. At 3 weeks I felt it was a tad too sweet, at 5 weeks it was nice, it didn’t last much longer.

5 gallon batch
60 min mash, 152 deg
60 min boil
ABV 5.9 %

Water (based Bru’n Water Pale Ale profile)
5.4 Mash ph target
Ca 140.2
Mg 17
Na 24.4
SO4 299
Cl 53.9
CaCO3 90
RA -20
SO4 / Cl ratio 5.5

Grain
10 lb 4 oz Marris Otter (85.4%)
12 oz Caramunich (6.2%)