1200w 120v Element Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
His is just some research for a future project I'd like to do, nothing in the immediate future.

Imagine a 240v 3 vessel system for 10 gallons. HLT and BK will be 5500w elements. Mash tun will be direct fired, and recirculate itself.

After the mash in, is a 1200w 120v element enough to hold mash temps?

The complicated answer is "depends on surface area, insulation, and ambient temperature."
The easy answer is "absolutely."
I just finished my build and I was very pleased to find that my 1375 watt element (5500 watt, 240 volt running at 120 volts) only lightly pulses inside my RIMS tube to maintain temp. And, in fact, during wet testing, could raise the temperature of 10 gallons of water relatively quickly. We're talking like a degree ever minute or two. But to be clear, my mash tun is insulated and had the lid on. Ambient temp was around 80*F.

Thanks! I'm asking because I didn't want to build my own controller, I really like the EBCIII from High Gravity Brew. I want a direct fired mash tun, so I asked them if I could buy the EBCIII complete but without the wiring done, and add another relay and element plug. Id Wire the "pump" PID up to another element for the mash, and the switch simply turn the pump on/off.
They told me there's not enough room in the panel for another relay for the element, but recommended I run a 1200w 120v element off the "pump" circuit, and add another outlet for the pump.

You know, the more I think on it the more I can't remember which sized elements I have where... I'll have to find receipts or measure resistance tomorrow. But the more I scratch my head, the more I think my RIMS tube is 1125w (4500w 240v run at 120v), which only goes to assure you that 1200w would be fine.

Have fun with your build!

Thanks! Like I said this is just something in the research stages, just an idea I have for someday if I can afford to upgrade to a bigger system.

Back