Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. It's still enough of a background flavor in that case...for me at least. It's been well received by those that have drank it, so I will run with it :)

Fireball became my go to about two batches ago. I use it based on an earlier post and now use 3/4 cup for me recipe

I like this idea. I will have to try it next time i make this.

I've been gone awhile, and it is nice to see that this thread has made it to 209 pages so far. :mug:

Gravity of 1.018...it's been a week and a half. Maybe another 2-5 days?

cider1.jpg

Couple of questions..(Thanks for all the helpful info, i'm kinda a newbie here) i cannot find cinnamon extract here where i live, but found a ton of cinnamon oil. would this work mixing it in with the caramel sauce? or would it float on top of the cider like most other oils and liquid? when should i take a gravity reading? its been a week and my airlock has slowed way down.

You can make your own extract by soaking cinnamon sticks in vodka.

I drop cinnamon in boiling water, allow to sit for 10-15 minutes, drop it all in the carboy. Boiling water isn't alcohol, but it's enough to kill anything surface level and 15 minutes soak is more than enough to sanitize it. Have done it twice and both times the cinnamon was a background note, just noticeable and nice.

I wonder what volume people have when they say that it takes 48-72 hours for the brew to start. Mine typically start quickly, usually within 6-12 hours. I'm using 5L carboys (1.3~ gl) - it's all the space I have to work with.

So i bottled my cider Friday night (2 nights ago) popped one today, decent carbonation (not as carbonated as i like).I'm thinking I may wait 1 more day. My question should i pasteurize? or simply cold crash? whats the reasoning to pasteurize? simply to kill off the yeast? wont cold crashing do pretty much the same thing? if i wait another day, bottle bombs? gushers?

So i bottled my cider Friday night (2 nights ago) popped one today, decent carbonation (not as carbonated as i like).I'm thinking I may wait 1 more day. My question should i pasteurize? or simply cold crash? whats the reasoning to pasteurize? simply to kill off the yeast? wont cold crashing do pretty much the same thing? if i wait another day, bottle bombs? gushers?

It's my understanding that cold crashing will stop fermentation while it remains cold, and pasteurizing will prevent any further fermentation period...even if the bottles return to room temp.

It's my understanding that cold crashing will stop fermentation while it remains cold, and pasteurizing will prevent any further fermentation period...even if the bottles return to room temp.

Cold crashing doesn't kill the yeast, it slows it down/stops the fermentation process. Think yeast ranching. The samples are stores in the frige until ready to resume/. I regularly experience significant pressure build-up in my ranch tubes, even at frige temperatures. Once the product warms up the activity resumes. Pasteurizing actually kills the yeast and prevents further fermentation (and carbonating) no matter what the temperature.

Its nice to see the experiments others are doing with their batches. I will be doing a 4L batch with caramel and another test batch 3L for the cinnamon as this will be the first time for me doing a flavor addition to my ciders. BTW I start with 23L of fresh pressed non-Pasteurized cider and pitch EC-1118 and 1tsp of yeast nutrient. I start with a OG of 1.070 which should get me to 6.8% when done. I will add my flavor additions to the 3L and 4L batches and then to my PET bottles for a bottle carb of two weeks testing after one week.

I like this idea. I will have to try it next time i make this.

I've been gone awhile, and it is nice to see that this thread has made it to 209 pages so far. :mug:

Soak some cinnamon sticks in vodka for a week or so (even a few days). Works great. I'm soaking some in butterscotch schnapps and vodka with an additional cardemom to blend later

So i made this recently and just poured my first pint from my keg. Its tasty and everyone loves it...however its really sweet for my personal taste. If i make this again i will probably half the amount of juice concentrate. Deffinatly a keeper though!

Okay, I survived reading all 210 pages of this thread over the last week or so. Very informative stuff.

Has anyone tried caramel extract and, if so, how much in a 5 gallon batch? Found it at Walmart when I was looking for cinnamon extract.

I don't remember seeing the extract mentioned but there were 210 Pages! Thanks!

the words "carmel extract" gave me pause...not sure how one would extract carmel flavors as you do with Vanilla, almonds, etc, - so I did a quick check on Walmart's site and it's for flavoring only. This choice will be totally up to you. My experience with flavors up to this point has been overall negative and too artificial tasting. But all our palates are different so you may enjoy it!

Going to be dropping this into 2.5 gallon kegs so I may do one making the caramel and one with the extract as an experiment.

Thanks. Anyone else?

I want to try and make this but since this is my first cider I have a question about the apple juice. Do you use an apple juice such as what is in the picture or are you looking for an apple juice that is more fresh like an apple cider? I have seen that some of the bottles of apple juice say made from concentrate, is that ok to use? I went to our local Wegmans but was unable to find a 96oz bottle of apple juice of any kind.

30313[1].jpg

That's exactly what you need. 100% apple juice, NO preservatives. Concentrate or not, does not matter.

Agree. The only ingredient besides apple juice can be ascorbic acid, which is vitamin C. Anything similar to sulphate is a preservative that slows the action of microbes by preventing them from dividing. Yeast is a microbe that is affected by sulphate

I tried Carmel extract, which is an imitation flavor and it did not taste well in my opinion. It is better to do it as it is laid out in the recipe.
I have found that you get much better hard cider if you use better quality apple juice. The only difference between apple juice and apple cider in the US is that juice is filtered so it depends on if you clear or cloudy cider.

I tried Carmel extract, which is an imitation flavor and it did not taste well in my opinion. It is better to do it as it is laid out in the recipe.
I have found that you get much better hard cider if you use better quality apple juice. The only difference between apple juice and apple cider in the US is that juice is filtered so it depends on if you clear or cloudy cider.

Not sure I agree. Pressed apples that are not filtered will still give you a bright and clear hard cider if you add pectic enzymes, you don't use any heat (that will set the pectins) and you have the patience to allow the cider to clear before you bottle. If need be you can add finings (bentonite, for example) but cider and apple wine clears as completely as any other non filtered juice expressed from fruit.

Does the nottingham yeast give a hint of beer to the cider? My wife doesn't like beer at all. Even a hint of beer is no good.
Thanks,

Booker

No hint of beer IMO. It creates an excellent, clean cider. I have used mangrove jack and was sad. My go to for this cider is Nottingham and that's what earned me a 1st place cider and 2nd BOS.

I used notti once. Only cider I've tossed out and LOVE mangrove jacks m02.

When temp are you using notti at? I've actually tried using it twice and didn't like it either times. I ferment at about 55-60f

I think M02 carries lots of apple flavour over but does dry it out. We backsweeten and keg so no problem there

I've also used s04 and s05 and there's always a hint of beer and it can be slight. I don't like beer either so any hint is a no go.

Like anything else palate related....it's really a personal thing.

Globell has a point. We all have different palates. I normally ferment at ~65 for this but up to 68. Mangrove was same area. Ultimately it will be up to your taste buds! Last thing I would say is that "beer" flavor does not come in to this cider for me regardless of yeast choice. I simply prefer the notty for my palate. People have enjoyed both batches though!

Just a quick fyi for anyone who chooses to carbonate this cider. This one carbs extremely quickly. within 48 hours I went to pasteurize the bottles and 2 min into the water that was about 190F bottles exploded. I removed bottles and had 2 explode out of the pot; leaving 2 dents in my ceiling and a chunk out of my new kitchen cupboard. Found glass all over the place. I was soaked from head to toe in cider but damn did I smell yummy. :) Luckily no injuries other then to my pride.

Booker

I pitched one gallon of this about 14 days ago with unwashed yeast slurry from a Cream Ale (US-05) Been in secondary for four days. SG was 1.054 without added dextrose. FG was 1.006 when racked to secondary.

I made the caramel sauce today and will be using one can FAJC to backsweeten before bottling in two days.

I'm excited to taste the results, hopefully the cream ale imparts some nice flavours!

Quick update.. Almost day 5 in bottles, test bottle is slowly starting to firm up. I didn't add additional sugar to the juice do you think I'll have any carb issues?

Quick update.. Almost day 5 in bottles, test bottle is slowly starting to firm up. I didn't add additional sugar to the juice do you think I'll have any carb issues?

It will carb slowly, and, right about the time it goes from undercarbed to overcarbed happens real quick.. within 24 hours.. youre about there

It will carb slowly, and, right about the time it goes from undercarbed to overcarbed happens real quick.. within 24 hours.. youre about there

Man you aren't kidding! About an hour after you posted I got home and checked my PET bottle, it was perfect.. Cracked it open and had some fizzing but not gushers. Immediately pasteurized them while enjoying the Fruits of my Labour!

I love this recipe!

Man you aren't kidding! About an hour after you posted I got home and checked my PET bottle, it was perfect.. Cracked it open and had some fizzing but not gushers. Immediately pasteurized them while enjoying the Fruits of my Labour!

I love this recipe!

I'm a bit disappointed to find out that my bottles that were pasteurized are not carbonated. I must have done something wrong in the process. It was my first time using a bench capper. I literally didn't know how to use it until my first bottle was ready to be capped. I used bottles with proper crowns, no twist offs. Can anyone provide any tips for the future? I have to bottle another batch of this soon.

While that Result was somewhat disheartening, I am thrilled to report the two bottles I brought to a party went over amazing, I had four people try it any everyone loved it. I was told that I could sell this in a store.. Big thanks to Mike for the great recipe. Even without carbonation these two bottles were gone in mere minutes of being opened.

For those who pasteurize.. There is another option. I have made this recipe 8 times and bottled it 7 (kegged the other). I use Nottingham and when my bottles get to the proper carbonation, I put them in the fridge at 38 deg.. I haven't yet had one overcarbonate or had problems.

Back