Re-hydrating dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

togodoug

Reaction score
Re-hydrating dry yeast. I know some guys who don’t bother, just pitch the dry yeast into the wort and cover it up.
I’m having real issues with a sour, astringent after taste. I’ve tries different yeasts, different water and still have the same taste no matter what the recipe.
I’m wondering now if its bacteria, although I sanitize everything with one-step.
I wonder if it is sanitation, re-hydration is just one more step and opportunity to mess up and get bacteria in the wort. So should I just skip that step??

Tell us the rest of your procedure, what equipment, etc. I REALLY doubt that a sour/astringent taste is due to rehydrating yeast. What about fermentation temps? What about all grain or extract? What about times? What different recipes? So many variables, but rehydrating dry yeast would be way down on my list.

Tell us the rest of your procedure, what equipment, etc. I REALLY doubt that a sour/astringent taste is due to rehydrating yeast. What about fermentation temps? What about all grain or extract? What about times? What different recipes? So many variables, but rehydrating dry yeast would be way down on my list.

I've been working on the same bad after taste for sefverla batches. The only other thing I can think of is water. But I use RO or distilled.

Back