Spare freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
My dad has an old under the counter freezer that he is giving me, since I told him about my plans to make an underthecounter ferm chamber, having the freezer connected to my temp controll, and extended with a foam insulaton board chamber.

Turns out, its the size of a under the counter freezer, but actually a chest freezer, wth a top opening door. Now I dont think I can use this in my ferm chamber build as i needed a front facing opening.

I dont keg, so I have no need for a keezer, yet, but dont really have the space to keep it laying around. Also, I imagine when I come to keg, I will want something abit bigger than this freezer.

Either way, does anyone see how I can make use of this? I think holding out for a normal under the counter fridge/freezer will be easier for my ferm chamber, but cant see a use for this as of yet.

Yup, the traditional take-the-door-off-build-a-box idea is out.

couple of other ideas:
Start Kegging, make into Keezer:)
Use as a fermenter as-is (is it big enough to hold at least one fermenter?)
Rig some duct-work to pipe cold-air into a separate box....control fan with temp controller.
Sell it, get what you want/need

Not great options though

Yea I cam across your project before I got the freezer, and its crossed my mind wethet o just try and duct the freezer for cold air.

Problem is, space is pretty tight, so the normal front opening fridge gave me room for an extra fermentor.

I think ill scrap this one for now. Ive seen plenty around for cheap when I come to keg, or end up with more space.

Why don't you put a carboy or conical in the freezer and pump into it? No taking carboys in and out. Would also give you an excuse to use a CFC chiller or a plate chiller if you don't already.

Some people have had success with tipping over their chest freezers on one side(or the front), and rearranging the compressor so that it remains upright. Might be a little bit more work than you are looking to get into, but its an option.

Can you fit a fermenter inside it? If you can fit one on the hump you could build a collar for it, just put a temp controller in it and call it a day.

I can just about fit one in.

Thing is I have everything else for a ferm chamber, and have in planned to hold 4 fermentor buckets. I usually have at least 2 brews on the go, and when I come to making cider in october I have at least 4 buckets of fermenting juice I would like to controll.

Problem is I don't have the space to use it as a single ferm chamber for one bucket.

Ok, I unscrewed, and with patience and perseverance have turned the compressor, making sure to slight lever the copper tubes connecting it making sure not to kink them.
So now I have a freezer on its side, with the compressor upright.

It just occured to me. The copper pipes going to the compressor all ran down towards it, were these gravity fed? Meaning now the freezer is on the side, even tho the compressor is upright, I may have problems?

The gas inside the lines is compressed. Let it sit for a while before you turn it on the compressor has oil in it. When you tip it on its side it needs time for the oil to settle back to where it needs to be.

Ahh right that's good.
And yea, I sat it upright for 24 hours after moving it here, and let it sit for an hour after moving the compressor.

I tested it and it started to cool and the inside sides started to frost. Good signs I think?

One other thing. Can I plug the fridge straight into my temp controller, and crank the thermostst up. Or do I need to bypass the thermostat?

Ya frost and cold is a good sign that you didnt break the lines. What temp control do you have? Most you just plug the freezer into it and plug the temp controller into the wall.

Cheers for all the feedback and help guys! I have one half of my fermchamber built.
Waiting of a few more foam board offcuts today and will get some pics up of my very ghetto, yet very cheap ferm chamber!

Back